What's new
What's new

5C collet missing pieces

Hotthermal

Plastic
Hi everybody. I've aquired a 1939 SB 9C and I've been restoring it. So far, everything been going smoothly - lots of scrubbing, elbow grease, sanding, painting, etc... She's looking real good.
Here's what's got me all turned around: I know it's a 5C quick change collet (it even says so) but I don't know how it fits together. I think I might be missing a piece or two.
Does anyone recognize these components? I would really like some help putting this back into use.

Thanks
-Mark

C9359897-E41B-4C4A-8FB9-CF36E339D4FB.jpg
CE8CE281-C89B-4144-82B4-D0E84816CBAC.jpgAFFEBE84-6A15-48BA-8D8A-19D7BE77E935.jpg

Welcome to PM. I'm just taking a stab at this because no one else has yet.

Mount the handle section to your bed like you would a steady rest. Does the vee way groove and bed clamp line up with the bed on your lathe correctly, both side to side and then does it have correct center height? It appears to be designed to mount on the bed in front of the spindle which I haven't seen before, but that fact means nothing. Does any portion of it thread directly onto your spindle? 9's have what, a 1-1/2x8TPI spindle nose? It's my understanding that a 5C collet isn't commonly used with a SB9 so you'd have to step it up somehow.

A lot of times parts that aren't designed for a certain machine end up conveying with them at the time of sale. Those answers might help determine if it even for your lathe or not.

that's pretty wild, never seen anything like that either. I'd agree with ^ that it looks like something that is supposed to mount to the spindle (bit that holds the collets) and bed (bit that closes the collets). Like a Sjrogen (?!?) speed chuck had babies with a Royal collet closer.

Bit hard to tell but those collets don't look anything like any 5C collet I've seen.

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying. The collet holder (no idea what to call it) does screw on to the spindle and seat nicely. Likewise, the handle fits on the bed and the dogs engage the collet holder to move it back and forth. I'll try and post some more pics tonight or tomorrow. Again, thanks for helping out.

Cheers,
Mark

Not sure if this has a 5C adapter in there, but it's obvious that it includes a setup for ER-type spring collets, and the collets as a set as well. All are front-closing type here.

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying. The collet holder (no idea what to call it) does screw on to the spindle and seat nicely. Likewise, the handle fits on the bed and the dogs engage the collet holder to move it back and forth. I'll try and post some more pics tonight or tomorrow. Again, thanks for helping out.

Cheers,
Mark

That sounds like you’ve got the jist of how a front mounted closer works, what’s parts are you missing?

Hi Nmbmxer,

I suspect that something goes in the collet holder so the collet ring can hold a collet. Just a guess...

1B2D7E20-1747-41AC-819D-E10C908C19FB.jpgF6F71182-95DA-4016-A8BE-FC0C6FA0AFAD.jpg

As promised, here are some pictures of it mounted on the lathe. I still think I'm missing a part or parts to make this work.

Why do you think something is missing? Is there not a mechanism to tighten a collet into place?

On a typical 5c closer you thread the collet into the closer and when the collar moves back some balls are pushed inward by a taper and the collet is drawn back. The collar pops over the balls at that point and locks the collet in place. I would assume on yours you'd load the collet into the holder and that goes inside the closer. Hard to tell without more pictures of the rest of the parts.

Back