What's new
What's new

71 g lathe

phillipaw

Plastic
Does anyone know what taper is in headstock. It is not a 4 or 5 mt large diameter is around 1 9/16

that is what i am finding out can i am working on making a face plate and a few backing plates to fit it just not familiar with taper in headstock. this machine is very solid for its age. called south bend and was told that with serial card on that old of a machine i date made and sold is all the information that will be on it. thanks for input

that is what i am finding out can i am working on making a face plate and a few backing plates to fit it just not familiar with taper in headstock. this machine is very solid for its age. called south bend and was told that with serial card on that old of a machine i date made and sold is all the information that will be on it. thanks for input

I have the spindle info and maybe a chuck back or 2
Send me an email
Ted
[email protected]

Catalog 94 - also on Mr. Well's web page - has the last mention of the 18" in his catalog collection- says the hole thru is a sixteenth larger than the 1 3/8 in the 16"

large diameter is around 1 9/16

Well - if SB had settled on the .602 taper per foot on diameter this early, that would be close to .150 on the dia in 3 inches (for a supposed taper length) - and if that was added to the 1.438 spindle hole dia., a person would have 1.5885 on the big end

If a person had the right kind of indicator, he could hold it in the tool post and SEE if he had .050 taper per side in 2". It would be important to have the indicator tip very close to center height wise

That was my next move just thought it may have been a type taper that I was not familiar with wanted to put a name with it thanks for input

None of the later SBs has anything "standard" for a spindle taper - except possibly the small versions

Yes, the .602 taper per foot is very close to MT3's .6024 - but SB used that .602 taper on MUCH larger diameters

Standard Tapers

Back