What's new
What's new

9" lever Closer Disassemble

Payson,
Can you post a picture of what you're talking about? I have one of these that I believe I've had apart before. Maybe I can help while looking at mine.
CWC(4)

Payson,
In the meantime, here is a copy of a parts list for the closer out of my SB binder . This is from South Bend bulletin/form 906J, section 1, dated 10-29-58. Hope it may shed a little light on it for you.
(I tried to attach as a PDF but site wouldn't let me, so this is a photo. I can email the PRF if it might be a little clearer)
There is also another thread about this subject here:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...bling-new-style-9-lever-collet-closer-250687/

Attachments

• south bend bulletin 003.jpg
    south bend bulletin 003.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 75
Payson,
Does your closer look like the one pictured?
If so, you should be able to reach down in that slot with a pick/scribe like one in center photo. 1st rotate the tube around so you can see the butt ends of the wire clip below the slot. Reach down with the scribe at a slight angle which the slot should allow, and push the point of the scribe under one end of the clip. The trick is to get it up out of the groove. while holding the end up with the scribe, reach down with the other tool (just a heated and bent pocket screw driver) and pull that end of the clip out of the groove. You should then be able to work your way around with the screwdriver or similar tool and pull it out of the groove the rest of the way. Then you can work it to the top to clear the collar so you can slide it off the tube the rest of the way.
I'm sure there are special tool for this but with the 2 simple tools pictures, it should only take a couple of minutes.
Hope this helps,
CWC(4)

Attachments

• Lever Closer- wire clip 001.jpg
    Lever Closer- wire clip 001.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 79
  • Lever Closer- wire clip 002.jpg
    Lever Closer- wire clip 002.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Lever Closer- wire clip 003.jpg
    Lever Closer- wire clip 003.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 71
That's just what I was looking for. I can push up the ring, but bringing it forward is the trick. I'll bend a tool when I get in on Monday.

Thanks so much,

Payson.

Done. Thanks.
In our #16 clutch sleeve there's a screw with a spring under it, that seems to run against a knurl on the tube. I opened up my 10K closer and found the same thing. There's a plastic / delrin or nylon / piece attached to the bottom of the spring, running against the knurl i guess. Any idea of the function? It's not completely shown in the pictorial.

Payson

Back