What's new
What's new

9" Model B Change Gears ID

mcload

Hot Rolled
Hello crew; I hope all are well.

I decided to start the disassembly of my 1959 9" Model B for lack of anything else interesting to do. Not much to report. Had to use a propane torch to get the two taper pins out of the apron assembly, and I managed to twist off two of the #8-32 screws holding the thin plate for the reservoir...lucky me...thank you very much.

This lathe came with a bunch of change gears, naturally, and I thought I might head down that road of identifying them.
When looking in the HTRL manual, they have the gears listed in figure 210, page 73 of my handbook (Vol One; Edition 43).
The heading of the list reads 10" Series S Standard Change Gear Lathe. So my first question is: are the gear numbers the same for a 9" and 10" lathe? I would assume so, except 10" only wider.
Would a standard set of gears that came with a 9" Model B include ALL gears on the list (#4 thru #160)? I'm guessing probably not as that's quite a lot of gears. Maybe just a general range?
Are there any other SB publications I can refer to on this topic?
Was there an owners manual specifically for the 9" ModelB?

Many Thanks!

PMc

View attachment 292918 View attachment 292919 View attachment 292920

If you look at the change gear placement charts for different threading and feed options you can identify what gears you will need for a complete set. Go to the metric chart and there is even more to get for a complete set. Easiest would be to get a QCGB since it is already a model B.

Okay thanks; I had the same thought about info from charts and plaques.
I would like to convert to QCGB, but since I will eventually want to sell this lathe, I'm gun-shy about
putting a lot of non-original parts into it. Just not sure of the market for restored and converted 9" lathes.
Probably poor. I will also be making a custom bench.

Thanks.

PMc

I can guarantee that a QCGB lathe would sell faster than a Model B whether it was a retrofit or not. I know that there are some South Bend purists out there but for the basement hobbyist it won't matter. Change gears are a pain for most. QCGB are plentiful and are a bolt on easy peasy. One hole to be drilled which takes a few minutes. I use an old gearbox for hole placement. It is an empty case so you just bolt it on using the two factory drilled holes and use the third hole in the case for an exact guide for the one you need. No measuring or sweat equity needed. Banjo, leadscrew and off you go. Your old gear cover will work. Around here model B or C lathes bring half of what a QCGB lathe will fetch. In fact I am converting one right now. It is an unworn 9B worthy of the upgrade.

Thanks for that input Tommy; it makes perfect sense and will investigate the upgrade.
For what it's worth, the 4' bed on this model B already has 3 holes. Finding the rest
of the stuff may take awhile.

PMc

View attachment 293060

Back