What's new
What's new

9" Model B--motor needed

JeffofCT

Plastic
I am a new owner of a 9" model B in good shape. Serial places it in the late 1940's. Right now, it is equipped with a 1/4 hp old washing machine motor. The original dual caster is also gone. It works ok but only goes forward. A review of an old SB catalog of that era noted that the 9" lathes were equipped with either a 1/4 or 1/2 horse motor. I imagine it was an option.

1. For those who have a similarly equipped SB with an original motor, what HP and rpm do you have?

2. For those with replacement motors, what do you recommend?

Thank you, Jeff

Attachments

• 57723914116__A23A0DF9-E07C-44FE-95C6-DBFBDD4F900B.jpg
    57723914116__A23A0DF9-E07C-44FE-95C6-DBFBDD4F900B.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 87
That lathe most likely came with a 1/4 HP, 1725 RPM motor although SB did offer options. However, 1/4 HP is all you'd ever need to run that machine. Since it is not a high speed machine, you could do well with an 1140 RPM 1/4 HP motor if you could find one. (not likely) Depending on what you want to do with it, you could consider installing a VFD along with a 3 phase motor in the 1/4 to 1/2 HP range. I have a somewhat older 9" Workshop lathe equipped with a VFD and a 1/3 HP TENV (totally enclosed, non-vented) motor and I've never been able to overheat the motor. The belt system just won't transmit the power necessary to overload the motor.

Definitely don't go below 1/2hp 1725rpm motor, I run that on mine with a serpentine belt and I can take a nice healthy cut. Pitch the leather belt, get a 1" wide serpentine auto belt, knock the spindle out and replace the belt. If you leave the belt intact and don't try to splice it with glue or stitching it will double your ability for a cut and will be nearly impossible to slip. I have had my serpentine belt for around 12 years now. Will probably last another 15. I do agree if you go with a VFD go to a 3/4hp motor.

Hello Jeff

About a year ago I bought a 13" southbend and gone through the whole thing. cleaning/de rusting, replacing felts, fixing what need replacement. In the process I decided I wanted a jog feature, reverse and most importantly variable speed. In doing so and after a lot of help in this forum I decided to go with a 3 phase motor for smooth operation and a vfd. There are many other options like a brush less DC motor but those can get expensive when you look at good controllers. A lot of people butcher up a tread mill with a dc motor and variable speed controller. It would take a lot of work to make it look nice imo.
For approx 200 would get you a brand new 3 phase motor 3/4hp and for another $200 would get you a good vfd to give you all the options you could ever need.
Here is a picture of my set up. There is another member on here that gave me the inspiration to do this. What he did to his 16" is unbelievable!
This setup gives me the ability to jog the spindle in either direction, put it in fwd/rev while running, offers spindle braking, and variable speed.
The box on the wall houses the VFD and all the electronics The control panel has all the switches that control the VFD.IMG_3422.jpgIMG_3422.jpg

My 9" SBL came from the factory with the 1/4 HP motor. After a half century of use, the starting contactor in the motor crapped out on it. Went with a 1/4 PM DC motor for about 10 years. Did okay until you try to cut a 8 or 10 pitch Acme thread. Just not enough hump to get it thru the cuts. Changed it out to a 1/2 HP PM DC motor. So far, it has done good. Cut two 8-pitch Acme cross slide screws and didn't miss a wink. As for going to a higher HP motor on this lathe, No! Will not happen. I have two other lathes with bigger HP motors if I need to do serious metal cutting on. I have the scars on my right hand from a accident on this lathe when I was 10 years old, and if it wasn't for that 1/4 HP motor, it probably would have been much more serious than it was. Have two grand daughters I like to teach them how to run when they get old enough, If I'm still around.

Back