What's new
What's new

9" Model B--motor needed

JeffofCT

Plastic
I am a new owner of a 9" model B in good shape. Serial places it in the late 1940's. Right now, it is equipped with a 1/4 hp old washing machine motor. The original dual caster is also gone. It works ok but only goes forward. A review of an old SB catalog of that era noted that the 9" lathes were equipped with either a 1/4 or 1/2 horse motor. I imagine it was an option.

1. For those who have a similarly equipped SB with an original motor, what HP and rpm do you have?

2. For those with replacement motors, what do you recommend?

Thank you, Jeff

My 9A has a Leeson 1/2 HP motor. I doubt it is original but it is a very nice motor. See pictures for details.

SouthBend-Leeson-motor1.jpg
SouthBend-Leeson-motor2.jpg

Your lathe will work just fine with anything in the 1/4 to 1/2 HP range. I think most lathes came equipped with 1750 rpm motors but if it were my lathe, I might snoop around a little bit to see if I could find and 1150 rpm motor in the same HP range--more torque available along with a bit lower speed. South Bend lathes are all about "relaxed" turning speeds.

My dad ran his 9C with a 1/4 HP motor for most of his life. I have that lathe now with a 1/3 HP 3 phase motor with VFD.

I also have a 9Jr. lathe run by a 1/2 HP variable speed DC motor.

Both lathes are very happy with the power available. More HP might sound good but you really have a had time using it with the belt system these lathes use.

If you really want to use these 9” lathes, go get a modern 1/2hp 1725rpm motor and while your putting it on swap to a serpentine belt drive. If your machine is a horizontal drive do yourself a favor and remove the spindle to put the belt on, do not cut and splice it unless it is an underdrive machine. This modification along with the needle bearing take up nut are the best 2 mods you can make to the 9” machines cutting ability. With a 1/2hp motor I can take a .050” depth of cut at 675rpm and .0057” per revolution in S7 tool steel, in cold roll I can increase that to about .075” depth of cut. You could never do that with the factory leather belt and certainly not with a 1/4hp motor. I actually use my lathe a lot to make side money so the improvements make a big difference. Mine has been running this way since 2004.

Back