What's new
What's new

9" Models; Backgear Adj. Minutia Question

mcload

Hot Rolled
On the 9" Models (perhaps 10's as well), there are two adjustment screws for the back gear shaft.
These are located behind and under the backgear shaft on both sides of the casting.
As per the ILION renovation book (page 90), one is for gear clearance, the other for tension adjustment.

As per the book, and my memory, I recall a small spring and a brass shoe used under the slotted screw
with jam nut on the gear clearance adjuster. However, on the square head screw for tension, I find there
is nothing else in the cavity but the screw itself that rubs against the shaft. The book does not mention
a spring or shoe, but I'm wondering if this is correct...or am I missing these pieces in the tension adjuster?
Is the machine screw all there is?

If anyone could take a quick check on their machine of the tension adj, I would appreciate it.

The photos below are from the ILION book "A Guide to Renovating the SB Lathe; 9" Model A,B,&C Plus
Model 10K (Horizontal Drive)" By ILION Industrial Services, LLC.
I used without permission only because photographing these myself was so very difficult.

Thank you in advance.

PMc

View attachment 330563 View attachment 330564

Last edited:
Hi,

I think maybe you have it reversed. The backlash adjuster (on the LH side, facing the headstock), should have only a dog-point setscrew and jam nut. No spring or shoe. The tension adjuster, on the RH side, has the spring and shoe, so that the tension can be varied as required. The backlash needs to be set to a hard stop, not a spring shoe.

Hope this helps.

Paula

You're welcome!

I've attached an exploded view of the 9" headstock to my first post, showing the relevant parts.

Paula

Update and Close

Just thought I'd update and close this thread with a photo of the sq. head machine screw and spring
for the back gear shaft tensioning assembly. I could not get the brass shoe out, but an inspection mirror
showed it was there. Tensioner works fine.

Also, my completed fwd/reverse assembly ready to install. Unfortunately, I cannot find a 20-tooth stud gear
so had to purchase a nylon one until I can find a steel 20T.

Thank you.

PMc

View attachment 330708 View attachment 330709

Back