What's new
What's new

9" south bend thrust bearing source

Obturate

Aluminum
Howdy all. My 9" is growling like mad, does anyone know where I could get a new spindle thrust bearing?
Thanks,
Dan

Thanks for the idea. Did you have to add shims to equal the thickness of the stock bearing?
Isn't Mcmaster Carr awesome, I don't know I lived without it.
Dan

Not sure if your 9" spindle has the same diameters as all the other 9" but I recently worked with a guy who needed this, and we found these:

McMaster-Carr

The .032" washers are part #5909K51.

Regards.

Mike

thrust bearing

Thanks Ronnie. I'm going to explore a new bearing first, if I have no luck I'll PM you.
Dan

If the growl is coming from the "THRUST" bearing--which is the 3-piece ball bearing inside the rear headstock journal--,then the McMaster needle bearing is not what you want. The McMaster needle bearing is to replace the fiber washer on the outside of the rear headstock journal.

Have you pulled the headstock spindle out and examined the condition of the thrust bearing?

First I would move the forward reverse lever to neutral and run the lathe without any gears turning and determine where the growl is originating.

I'm sure it is the thrust bearing. It gets louder when a thrust is applied to the spindle. I can lessen it by applying oil directly to the bearing.
I haven't had it apart yet, I would rather have the replacement in hand to minimize down time.
Dan

If the growl is coming from the "THRUST" bearing--which is the 3-piece ball bearing inside the rear headstock journal--,then the McMaster needle bearing is not what you want. The McMaster needle bearing is to replace the fiber washer on the outside of the rear headstock journal.

Have you pulled the headstock spindle out and examined the condition of the thrust bearing?

First I would move the forward reverse lever to neutral and run the lathe without any gears turning and determine where the growl is originating.

Metric Bearing?

I too am looking for this bearing. I was surprised to see it is a metric bearing not imperial.

I had good success in matching up the same type of ball thrust bearings by going to my local bearing distributor (Kaman Industrial Technologies). My camelback drill had two of the same type of ball thrust bearing assemblies, and both were beyond shot. I took measurements and went to the counter at the Kaman bearing branch (which for me, happened to be near Albany, NY). The salesman was knowledgable, and he was able to match me up with two of the thrust bearing assemblies based on the dimensions I furnished. We discussed the application, and were able to get one thrust bearing which was as tighter fit on the spindle, and one which was looser (which went between the thrust adjusting nut and the spindle quill- much the same as a Southbend lathe thrust bearing).

Get good dimensions of the bearing, make a sketch, and go to the local bearing supply. INA made this style bearing as do a number of other bearing manufacturers. I would imagine the salesmen will be able to match up a thrust bearing. As for metric, it should not be an issue. I had to get some metric-sized Timken roller bearings for older BMW motorcycle wheels. Once again, I went to Kaman, and the salesmen had no problem with supplying me with European made Timkens, at far less than the BMW parts dealers wanted.

I'd use micrometers to take any measurements, take digital photos (something that did not exist when I had to match up the thrust bearings for the old Camelback drill), then pack the old bearing with grease and put the old bearing back in service on your lathe. Go to the local bearing supply and you may be surprised at what is available. It may take them a few days to get the particular bearing ordered, but they will locate it and get it for you. We have all kinds of off-the-wall bearings on powerplant equipment made in Europe or Japan, and we have ancient ball bearings on some of the railroad equipment on our local tourist railroad. No matter what the oddball bearing may be, if I get dimensions and possible a number off the bearing race, Kaman comes through for me. I do not think Southbend would have some special production run of thrust bearings, and if you can find a number stamped into the bearing race, so much the better.

Joe Michaels

"I do not think Southbend would have some special production run of thrust bearings,"

Think again:crazy: :willy_nilly: They used several special thrust bearings(crossfeed & spindle on most sizes of their machines):smoking:
Ted

I took Dan's bearing(metric) and converted to imperial. The nearest dimensions were: i.d. 1.375", o.d. 2", thickness 1/2".

I could not find an inch size bearing to match in any of the catalogs. Dan's supplier did not carry any inch -size thrust bearings.

I will order the same one he did.

Cheers
Ant

Hey All,

I know this is an old thread, but was trying to find the bearing Dan mentioned. The link no longer works and no one mentioned the part number.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

-Chef Juke

Are you talking about the actual thrust bearing or the needle bearing/washers that go under the take-up nut? I just bought(as in 6 days ago) the needle bearing/washers to go under my take up nut as many recommended here, only to learn that I can't use them on my lathe. I may send them back, but would gladly send them to you for something reasonable if you like.

well that has not worked so has anyone accurtly measured the thrust bearing ? and what is the sizing

I was looking at NTN bearings, and their catalog shows a 3-piece ball thrust bearing #51107. Specs are 35mm ID x 52mm OD x 12mm thickness.

What say the more knowledgable SB folks about this bearing, and is it close enough to work for the THRUST BEARING application on the SB9? We're NOT talking about the needle (takeup) bearing retrofit in this thread, that replacement bearing has been well established. We're talking THRUST here:)

I know bearing fit but unfortunately it is of mostly loose ball and sealed bearing, I am not the best at measuring as I never got formal training with oversight

Back