What's new
What's new

9" Workshop Lathe Questions

HoneyBear

Plastic
I recently acquired an old SB Lathe and am awaiting the serial card from Grizzly... The # stamped into bed is 43xxx without letters and the end gear cover says it is a Workshop 9x3.5 without calling out which model (A,B, or C) so, from what I can find, this means it was one of the workshops made in the first few years ('27 or so) which jives with the spreadsheet I found for dating by bed #. No gear box and only one wheel and one lever on apron which makes this a Model C I believe.

I have found two things that have me perplexed. First, when I removed the tailstock and separated it I could see that the base has what appears to be a dated on it of '51. And secondly the arm which holds in place the gear cover has two extra holes drilled in it which accept the cover but don't allow close.

Two questions:
1. Is the number on base of the tailstocks a date?
2. Were these lathes built with 3 holes to move the cover over when using different gear setups? Or do I have a frakenlathe of sorts?

BTW: When looking into this acquisition I stumbled upon this forum and ultimately decided in favor of the lathe because of all the knowledge and help available here. Thank you all for being here and thanks in advance for any help u can give. Please correct me if I have made any incorrect statements above.
Thanks
HB

i dont know the answer to those questions directly, but the workshop lathes were not A/B/C they were just workshop. The A/B/C were the later models.

All of the workshop machines i have seen have resembled a C lathe. change gears, no power feed, half nuts only and top oiler headstocks.

Its possible someone replaced the tailstock due to wear or other damage.

Back