What's new
What's new

9A Apron oil change

jimmyb11

Aluminum
I took it as a bad sign when I removed the sump plug and nothing came out. I have been trying to fill the sump but the gits cap appears full and it won't take much oil. Any suggestions? How much oil should it take?

I removed and cleaned the gits cup but I can't get oil in, there is so much back pressure the oil can just spews back out the filler cap. Suggestions?

It sounds like you have some kind of obstruction in there. See about sticking a pick or wire up into the drain hole to see if there is something blocking it. If it's not too hard, just pull the apron and see what's screwed up. From my experience with apron gearboxes, they can get kinda special sometimes. Is it possible that you are supposed to fill it from the hole behind the cup, and use the cup itself only for checking and maintaining the oil level? I am not familiar with the exact procedure for filling the apron sump on this particular machine, but have had similar problems trying to force oil into a gearbox through too small an orifice.

Here's a link to what the Apron looks like off the lathe:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/help-9-apron-restoration-180642/

I used plain old kerosene to flush mine, but I agree with clifton77208, you need to clear what ever obstruction there is first. You may be tempted to use an air hose - DON'T. You don't want to cause more problems.

Here's what yours *may* look like :) Wayyyy on down is his post you can see where the drain plug is (Yes this is for a 10K, but you get the idea)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/10k-apron-cleaning-rebuild-pic-heavy-210617/

Walt

Here's what I did until I can find time to pull the apron (as there were other things higher on the list to fix first). The old owner never knew there was a drain plug. Hadn't been flushed or oiled in years and years....

This is only a short term solution until I pull the apron and really clean and assess it.

I pulled the drain plug, then sprayed crab cleaner up the drain hole. Used a bent paper clip to work out the junk.

I pulled the oiler off the front, and sprayed carb cleaner down the passage, and then pulled the junk out with a small screw driver.

From around the back of the apron, both sides, I first sprayed it with carb cleaner. After the carb cleaner, I started flushing it down with mineral spirits, and turning the lead screw by hand to turn the gears.

Once I had it flushed the best I could, I teflon taped the oiler threads and drain plug. Reinstalled. Filled it from the oiler and from around the back with ATF as this is highly detergent, and will continue to break loose the accumulated crud.

Clutch and shifters are now usable.

I hope to get to pulling the apron off in the next few weeks.

Gasket can be made out of brown paper bag cutting and some RTV sealer.

gasket made from brown paper bag????? Thanks for tip. I may try that!!!!!

BTW, I dissassembled entire apron a few days ago then reassembled it and put type A spindle oil into the oil cup. It only took several squirts to fill it up. Instructions say to wait 10 minutes for it to settle down and then squirt more in. I haven't tried to squirt more in yet but will! Ensure your apron assembly is up on blocks so it is upright (unless it's mounted). I decided to oil before mounting it. I have dry paper bags underneath so I can detect if there's any leaks.

Hope this helps!!!!!!

Talk about coincidence, that's exactly what I did last night. :) Used a whole can of carb cleaner. Flushed a lot of crud out of there. Had to stop when the lathe started floating....:crazy:

Walt

Back