What's new
What's new

9A back gear lever/cam?

1BadDart

Plastic
Is it cast iron or cast steel? The reason I ask is the lever/handle is broke off mine. I bought a handle/cam, shaft and eccentric on e bay thinking I'd swap out the handle end but the pin is in a different location. I installed all three pieces and now it's noisy with the back gear engaged. If it's cast steel I'll make a handle and tig weld it to my broken piece. If it's cast iron I may try silicon bronze or aluminum bronze.

Thanks, Justin

To the OP. How about a pic or two to explain what your problem is with the handle you bought. Those pesky tapered pins can be drilled in a different location if need be. A noisy back gear can be adjusted by the set screw on the cam. If it is engaging the gears too far it will be noisy. Adjust it to be quiet and your good to go. Not a big deal.

If it is a South Bend product, assume that it is cast iron, especially on a 9". Weld it up with an appropriate cast iron rod. Do not use a steel rod, because the carbon in the iron will migrate out and create a brittle weld.

I need to read the instructions on adjusting the back gears. The way they are set now the tension bolt has to be pretty tight to keep the back gears from disengaging.

They are noisy even if I move the handle to lessen the engagement. One thing I noticed on the set I bought is that the cam on the chuck end of the shaft is longer than the one I removed.

I can't mix any of the three pieces between the two sets because the pin locations are different on both sets.

I'll read the instructions and see tomorrow if the noise can be adjusted out.

Thanks, Justin

I adjusted the new to me lever, cam and shaft and it's still noisy. The back gear set had no end play with the new set up so I faced the cam to give it about .005 and the noise is still there. Just for the heck of it I installed the old parts and adjusted the engagement and all is quiet again.

The broken handle is definitely cast iron. I drilled and tapped it for a stud and will make a handle out of some aluminum round stock I have.

Thanks guys, Justin

Back