What's new
What's new

9A, Before and After

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
I had promised to post a few "before" and "after" pics a couple of months ago when beginning the restoration. I can't thank ALL of you enough for the help received here...and couldn't have done it without the "group effort".

It's now a working lathe in my small gunsmith shop, starting to fly "solo" now on some customer work instead of taking all to my "mentor's" shop. Part of me already wants to move to a 10L, but I've kinda fallen in love with this little gem...cuts like a dream.

I guess I need to start making room for another lathe, now :drool5:

As purchased, sight unseen, from the garage of the 94 year old deceased owner. Hadn't been used in who knows how long...everything was bone dry- but no corrosion and very acceptable wear except for the cross-feed screw and dial, fabricated a new one. Fortunately, it seems to have been used a lot for woodworking (??) as the apron (as you can see) was full of sawdust. Better than steel chips, right??:)

SB 9A Before 1.JPGSB 9A Before 2.JPG20151014_085249_zpsgs40hyhv.jpg

After..as I mentioned in the painting thread a while back, it was done with S/W Macropoxy 646 for better durability than an alkyd. Not purty, but hard as a rock.

After 1.jpgAfter 2.jpg

Back