What's new
What's new

9a carriage lock screw

Wjw159

Plastic
Sbl 9a carriage lock - Album on Imgur

I got this south bend 9a and stripped it down and rebuilt it. Everything is pretty much fine except I'm confused by the carriage lock.

The square headed bolt seems way too long. It bottoms out on the half nut before the head of the bolt contacts the saddle.

I didn't take a before pic of this so idk if I'm missing something which from the parts diagram and the rebuild manual it doesn't seem like it. The carriage lock wasnt a big point of focus when I was talking everything apart and any reference I can find just glosses over the assembly bc it should be super straight forward. I don't believe I'm using a bolt that belongs somewhere else on the machine.

Its basically like 1/2 too long. I don't see why they would design the bolt to pass all the way through the lock clamp and beyond.

It may be the lock screw is from a 10" and that's why it's longer? A steady rest from a 10" was included with the lathe when I bought it.

I can't see your pic, but is it possible you have the reverser hold down or banjo bolt mixed up with the carriage lock?

That's a good suggestion. I just checked and the reversing lever is a larger diameter thread. Tnr banjo on mine is a shcs so probably been replaced sometime

Back