What's new
What's new

9A Chuck recommendations

1BadDart

Plastic
Guys, I have a South Bend 9a that my Uncle gave many years ago. It has needed some attention for some time so I've finally decided to fix it up a little.

Then main thing I need is a chuck, it has a Cushman three jaw on it now that's wore out, .014" run out. I need a decent 3 jaw that won't break the bank. There are many chucks available but I honestly don't know what's junk and what's not. Bison's look good but more than I'm willing to spend for no more work than I do on the machine.

Thanks, Justin

There are many new 3 and 4-jaw chucks listed on eBay. Unfortunately, most are Asian made. But don't worry, they work fine on the 9" SBL. I have a 6" 3-jaw Asian made chuck I bought for my 9" SBL 20 years ago. I has held up just fine for what I do. I wouldn't waste any time looking for a used USA made chuck. Most if not all listed on eBay are worn out. Don't get me wrong, I have gotten lucky and bought a couple in the past that turned out to be in decent shape to use. If you want to spend the bucks, look for a Bison brand chuck.
Ken

Back