What's new
What's new

9A Clutch Drag

kopeck

Plastic
Hi Everyone,

I've googled this a bit and really haven't come up with a smoking gun. The clutch on my 9A drags at times when it's in the released position. It's not enough that it would continue a cut but if there's not load the carriage will still creep along which has created a few close calls with the chuck!

I completely disassembly the machine a couple of years ago and cleaned and re-wicked the whole thing. I put it together using ILION book.

Everything else seems to work really well...just that darn clutch!

Any ideas?

K

As far as I know yes but that is something I can't double check. The fill doesn't seem to want to take oil but maybe there's something up there.

K

Sometimes they just seem to 'lock up', but not tight. After loosening the knob, try rapping it (the knob) straight in toward the carriage with a piece of wood. That never fails to release mine!

I took my time filled the reservoir until oil was up to the top of the cap. It does seem better and I did notice a little oil coming out from the clutch shaft.

I'll run it a bit like this, see if it really improved the situation, if it didn't I'll pull the apron off and have a look. I don't think it's swarf though, it's done it since I put it together.

Thanks,

K

Everything you read here is conjecture. You are there. Take the apron apart and all things will be clear. It is both easy and fast enough.

This is your answer. Get the tools, take it apart, clean the sheisse out, enjoy your machine.

Back