What's new
What's new

9A Collet Drawbar too long

flathead4

Hot Rolled
Good monring all. I haven't posted or followed in a while. I have been using my 1966 Model A as a tool around the shop with out much trouble until now. Some time ago I built an ER collet chuck and have put a few miles on that. A year or so ago I traded some Heavy 10 parts for a 9A drawbar and a handfull of collets but it has sit in the drawer until this morning. I have a project on deck that requires drilling about fourty 1/2 inch round cutoffs (for spacers) and thought the drawbar setup would be easier/quicker than my collet check and spanner. However, when I unstalled the drawbar, adapter and 3C collet (I am missing the thread protector) I noticed that the rotating part on the drawbar does not seat in the outboard end of the spindle and does not draw the adapter into the spindle taper.
The part number on the drawbar looks like HWC-103N. Is this the correct drawbar for my 9A? If not, any idea what lathe it is for? I guess I could always make a spacer.

Thanks,
Tom

2:ROFLMAO:728_83747.jpg - Google Drive
2:ROFLMAO:728_6.jpg - Google Drive
2:ROFLMAO:728_81.jpg - Google Drive

I guess I could always make a spacer.

Sure you want to risk that? It has downsides, y'know.

Next thing is you will want to buy a lathe. Then buy some tooling for it. Then you'll want to learn how to use it. By the time you get to where you can actually make a space in but a few minutes work?

You'll be broke from the spend, and so tired of it all you'd be better-off to just go post a part-number and some photos on PM, kick back with a cold beer and watch a video, forget about the silly collet closer or making any parts at all ...for about two months.

That's a pretty heavy downside for one silly little spacer ain't it?

My Logan is the same way. I just made a spacer. One explanation might be the difference in length between 3C and 3AT collets, since both were common, but it probably goes the wrong way. Or maybe the drawbar is from a different spindle.

My Logan is the same way. I just made a spacer. One explanation might be the difference in length between 3C and 3AT collets, since both were common, but it probably goes the wrong way. Or maybe the drawbar is from a different spindle.

There may be a missing OEM spacer, too. Plastic or fiber. Hind-orifice edge protector, drawtube center-er. One still just makes those.

Does the SB9 use a different spindle gear for lever closers? Wondering if that’s why the OP is seeing a gap after adding the closer...

Are you sure you have a 3C adapter and collets??

The drawbar number is correct, and it "looks" unmodified?

IIRC 3AT collets are about 3/8" shorter than 3C but I may be wrong.

That said nothing wrong with a spacer, I would use a bearing as the SB plain sleeve can be a bit "sticky"

Only one collet in my collection is actually marked and it says 3C. The rest are of similar length. The adapter is unmarked. However, even with no collet in the adapter, and the drawbar and adapter pushed together the arrangement slides back and forth about .40 in the spindle. One or the other is too long. So a spacer it is!

Thanks,
Tom

In the third picture it almost looks like there is a sleeve on there.Is that hole for a setscrew? If that part comes off you can make a new one the right length.
I have three lathes four kinds of collets three home made drawbars four closer sleeves and four spacer sleeves.They allow me to use 3PN, 3AT and 3C collets on my workshop B model and to use 2A collets on a 13" SBL as well as a 13" LeBlond Regal.Got to the point where I had to mark the stuff to remember whats what.

Back