What's new
What's new

9A follower Rest Dwg

animal12

Stainless
hey folk's I need to make cross feed & compound screws for my old lathe & want to make a follower rest for my South Bend , has anyone here built one ? any drawings or sketch's with dimensions or what not to do ?
tks
animal

if you use an Aloris type QCTP consider spot facing and drill/tap the left hand side of the saddle...then make a flat(no offset) follow rest.

for the right hand side maybe make one that you can adjust the offset.
OR be really slick and make one kind of like this one by the late Harry Bloom and you're covered no matter what- see post 17 below...sometimes it's a PITA to get your cutting tool where it needs to be with the standard follow mounted.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-design-options-189421/?highlight=Follow+rest

I made one last year for my 13" because I was tired of trying to find one off ebay for under $500. Attached are a few drawings and pictures. I made ll the parts quite easily without a mill. The knobs are of the telescoping southbend design. It works very well with the newer quick change tool posts where the tool isn't in the center like the lantern tool posts. The flat design also allows it to be on either side of the cut. I didn't have any other drawings to help me out with making the frame so what I did was make a cardboard template and bolt the template where the rest would go to get the lathe center axis dimension. I just went free for all from there. Let me know if you have any other questions.

ADJKNOB.jpgPicture1.jpgFINGER.jpgSTEADY6-1.jpgIMG_3831.jpg

more pictures of a follower rest

Here are a couple more pics. one of a stock rest and one of the rest I made mounted to my lathe.

IMG_3834.jpgIMG_2453.jpg

Stainless
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given)
Likes (Received)
John the carriage saddle tee slots were one of the things that defined the engine lathe many years ago,along with the steady rest, follower rest,and even the compound slide.Creating a follower rest by using them is a true piece of thinking out of the box. By the looks of the finish on that shaft, it worked quite well.
I have experienced what pressbrake mentioned a couple of times at least.May be related as the brain works under the gun in ways that routine work just doesnt warrent.
The only Detroit I ever worked with was a D92 on a peak shaving generator.The noise is the common denominator with those monsters...

Thanks for the input . I think I will make some different templates from plywood to get the shape I'm after & work on some ideas I have for the telescoping parts
tks
animal

My 13" 1978 lathe had the same hole pattern on both sides of the carriage. I dont know if someone put them in there or if they were there from the factory? I can mount it on both sides depending on what direction I want to cut. The stock follower rests are offset to support in the middle back when the lantern tool posts were used primarily.

My 13" 1978 lathe had the same hole pattern on both sides of the carriage. I dont know if someone put them in there or if they were there from the factory? I can mount it on both sides depending on what direction I want to cut. The stock follower rests are offset to support in the middle back when the lantern tool posts were used primarily.

I have two 10Ls and neither have the holes in front. The backside has a raised machined flat area where the FR would go. If it was in the front, the offset of the FR would put the tracking way out in front of the cutting tool.

Yea

My lathe carriage has a flat spot with the two holes the same as in the rear. The front dosent have a raised pad though. So I would assume that someone added them.

Back