What's new
What's new

9A Spindle drawing

animal12

Stainless
I'm sure I have seen a drawing somewhere of a 9A spindle with dimensions , but I have been unable to find it again . any of ya folks know where there might be such drawing ?
tks
animal

My 9A has a very small step on the spindle where the chuck bottoms out , I was wonderin if that's right for this lathe ? I've been chasin a chatter problem & noticed what looked like a gap between the back of the chuck & the mating surface of the spindle , some folks call this the register. I can get a .008 feeler gage behind the chuck & the spindle but not all the ways down to the diameter of the spindle . does that make sense? I will try to make a drawing tomorrow & post it . my chatter prod only happens while turning steel , I don't remember if what I am using is CR or HRS , but it looks like hell . I can turn aluminum & get a mirror finish all day long . I just did a spindle check & i have .002 in spindle movement . the left side bearing seems to run @ 20 deg warmer than the chuck side , perhaps I have the thrust nut too tight ?I am usin AR Warner HSS cutters & home ground HSS . I tried all 3 speeds plus backgear . my work piece is @ 1.2" dia right now , but gettin close to finished size so I stopped workin on it till I get this figured out
tks
animal

yea , that's it . what is its purpose ? I wasn't sure if someone had done some sort of mod to the spindle
tks
animal

ok so the larger siameter part is the pressed on part & the part that the chuck backs up to is the actual spindle ?
animal

ok , thanks . good to know that a PO didn't hack up the spindle ..
hope to get back to my chatter / finnish issue . will start a new thread for that
animal

Back