What's new
What's new

9A Undermount Wicks

jim1058

Plastic
I have just started my refurbishment of my 9A with the undermount drive. The shaft for the belts was scored when I removed it from the frame. I do not know if the wicks were clogged or if the previous operator just didn't oil them. I removed the wick material and now I need to know what to put back in the cavity and how to get it in the cavity.

I have the book and the wick kit. The wick kit does not include the wicks in question and the book is for the horizonal mount not the undermount and does not provide info on the undermount.

That material is called cotton waste. There is a lot of it stuffed in there. You just have to pick it out or if the drive unit is removed from the cabinet you can use a torch and burn it out with a few blows of oxygen. Be careful not to over heat it.

I have the drive removed and I did get the cotton out. I need to find a supplier for the cotton waste. to put the cotton in do I need to remove the fittings that the Git oiler screw into. Do they pull out as they are round and I did not see a way to grip them and unscrew them. I also remove a leaf spring from each oil cavity.

I suggest you contact stevewb via one of his adds on eBay and see if he can get this material for you or suggest where you might get it. In addition to my SB 13" I have an older SB 15" which he doesn't have a felt kit for, but he said he could make something up for me if I gave him a list of what I needed. He might be able to offer help...

Ted

I am also doing a complete rebuild of my 9A with undermount drive. Where did you end up getting the cotton waste from?
Also, I unfortunately did not pay attention to the orientation of the "wavey leaf springs" during the disassembly.
Do you know how they are installed?

As Technical Ted suggested, stevewb on Ebay has the parts. The wicks for the 9" under mount are item number 160743657177

Back