What's new
What's new

9inch model a, stuck taper pins

vicfi

Plastic
I've read many forums about stuck taper pins but nothing has worked! I ground off the top to make sure it wasn't shroomed on the top. I tried drilling in a little bit on both sides but drilled off the center by accident. No amount of heat, pb blaster, or brute force has got it to move. And yes I am hitting the right side. I've triple-checked that. At this point, I don't know what to do. The worst part is there are many more taper pins to remove. The wicks on this 1945 south bend have probably never been replaced before by the looks of it.

Which pin are you referring to? How far were you able to drill into it? If all else fails, take a Dremel tool with a carbide burr and slowly deepen the SMALL end of the pin. Once you have the pin below the surface, put a pin punch of appropriate size and whale away. It's just friction holding the pin in place, so you might get positive movement.

my bet is you are driving the wrong side. Sometimes it appears that the wider is the smaller.

Are you using a drift? Pin punch?

I hope you are not using a punch (for drilling or marking), the punch will expand the end and not allow it to come out.

I can't remember a felt that was held in by a taper pin, except maybe a collar in the gear box. It's been a while since I rebuilt it.

try some heat.

also, I use punches that are the size of the pin end.

as I said, I don't support having a point on the end of a punch, it will force metal out. not just my opinion, it happened to me when I was young before I bought a pin punch set.

AH. You are trying to remove the pin in the gear that holds the cone gears inside the gearbox. The trouble is that the shaft flexes to absorb the impact. If it won't move, drilling it out is your only option for that gear. You will need a taper reamer to repair it when you finally get it out. They are a bast... to get out and even when you get it moving if you drive it in too far you can't turn the shaft to remove it completely. You have to move it a little with a punch and rotate the shaft and pull it out with pliers. Drill baby, drill!!!

The pins are relatively soft. Use a punch with a nice flat face, freshly ground. With most of the pin drilled away, try hammering away at the weakened edges. Get it to collapse in on itself. Maybe you'll be able to push it out or you can drill a little more each time you alter its shape. You basically want to chip away at it reduxing its size a little by little. Eventualy it will come out.

so I think a pic would help

here's my gear box after I rebuilt it.
you are having a problem with the collar on the right.
freaking site is horrible at inserting images, I can't get upload to work from my computer, only from remote sites. so you can't see my modified image with info.

tsCQkW8.jpg

I'll try to get some pictures as I am a bit embarrassed at the terrible job I did. Though to be honest, I'd rather learn from this mess up than ignore with it in the back of my head for the rest of my life. This definitely will not be the last taper pin I deal with. I don't check this forum as much as I like as it takes forever to load if it does on my phone. This forum is poorly optimized for mobile devices.

I'll try to get some pictures as I am a bit embarrassed at the terrible job I did. Though to be honest, I'd rather learn from this mess up than ignore with it in the back of my head for the rest of my life. This definitely will not be the last taper pin I deal with. I don't check this forum as much as I like as it takes forever to load if it does on my phone. This forum is poorly optimized for mobile devices.

I'm not going to post pictures of the terrible job I did. :)

Back