What's new
What's new

Abused 13" I picked up

It's all there shy the 5C collet adapter and door for the base. All I've done is a clean up and tear down on the headstock to see just how bad it is. The bed is hardened and cleaned up nicely. As bad as it looks the lathe looks like it didn't have a lot of heavy use. Well, right up till the forklift got a hold of it :rolleyes5:

Paul

Nice score! Hard ways and camlock spindle. Extra qc box? T/A (taper attachment, not torque amplifier) certainly looks fixable with a couple parts that are available. It's well worth your time and the price you paid! Good luck with it. PB

I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Also, it looks like the piece brolen off of the taper attachment is in the one box of parts!

Thanks. Yes there was a extra gearbox. I had to rob one of the gears in the selector levers from it. Other than that it's intact.

Paul

Yes both parts are there. I'm going to try and clamp it down to a piece of plate and braze it back together. both cross feed and compound screws are broke off on the ends and bent. I'm going to press and pin new ends on them and re-machine them unless I can find some that wont cost as much as I paid for the rest of it :rolleyes5: Please excuse my messy shop :o

DSCN3475.jpg

Paul

Yep, No doubt about it, Great Deal! Easily repairable. At the initial price paid you can easily afford to spend a few dollar$ and have a great machine worth much more the the total investment. Kind of projects many of us enjoy running across.

A previous owner had tried to remove and re-install the bearing caps without removing the bearing expanders. The front thrust bearing had come apart and no doubt was the original problem trying to be addressed. It sounded pretty bad :) I made a bronze thrust washer for the rear but before settling on the final specs for it I noticed the back gears and rear drive gear were out of alignment. I had to ad a .135 to the front and .535 to the rear to maintain the original mesh pattern on the gears. I was wondering if anyone else has run into that before? I've never seen it mentioned before.

Paul

DSCN3478.jpgDSCN3480.jpg

I can fix the crossfeed leadscrew. Call or text for a quote nine136366107. Thanks Mike

Thanks I appreciate it. I'll probably just make a new one from PH4140. The threads are worn in the middle and the nut is worn slap out. It was full of dirt and grit when I tore it down.

Paul

Finally made some chips tonight. Still a way to go to be complete but it's usable at this point :) Picked up a used Aloris post on Ebay but it was a different size than what it was listed as. I'll have to cobble together some tool holders. I did one just to be able to fit the chuck to the back plate. I was hoping to be able to use the same size posts on both lathes but it doesn't look like that will happen. I'm running a KB27D VFD to power it. Don't know how I'm going to mount it. It's much larger than I thought it was. Here's some before pictures from the original CL ad and some from tonight.

Paul

00X0X_6VBwk5qanXV_600x450.jpg 00W0W_jBYJxRezhsT_600x450.jpg 00s0s_hWrVuzrhktg_600x450.jpg

DSCN3554.jpg DSCN3555.jpg

Back