What's new
What's new

AC motor for an old South Bend bench lathe...

CMRantz

Plastic
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and would welcome some advice!

I have an old South Bend bench lathe (9 X 30) and the original motor finally gave up the ghost. Is there a shop you can recommend that would be able to rebuild such a motor, (local in Seattle or to ship)? Is it cost effective to do this, or, should I attempt to re-motor it with a newer unit?

Oh, and yes, I do believe it may have to be rewound (blue smoke and all :-)).

Thanks in advance,

CMRantz

Just put a new motor on. Its going to cost just about as much to have it worked on, so why bother. A good new Baldor one should only run you about $200 at the most depending on voltage / shaft size etc...

That motor should be instant reverse which is nice on a lathe. I would either get it rewound or replace with a 3 phase motor and vfd to retain quick reverse and braking function. If you use a vfd just use the old switch.

They make vfd's that run off single phase 120 volts up to one horsepower.
Bill D.

Om my 9C I replaced the original motor with a 3 phase motor off an A25 Traub. The Traub motor is actually the feed motor. Instant reverse is handy if you have 3 phase. All it took was a simple bracket and boring out the pulley to fit.
The base the motor is bolted to had a large selection of holes to choose from so many different motors could have been used.

If it was me I would check the price for a new motor then contact a re-winder and get a price to rewind it. Then decide which is better. Usually a re-winder will include new bearings. Rewound motor is as good as new depending upon how good the re-winder is. Ask around to determine if the re-winder does a good job. Those that are re-winding motors for local companies are darn good or would not be doing it very long. If windings are all that is bad with the motor re-winding is cheaper because all the hardware is reused.

Really need nameplate info to give better guidance. I know of one shop that might do you a favor to fix it. Normally they would not touch a motor like that. Fixing or replacing it really depends on what it is.

Can you post a picture of the nameplate or post all the nameplate data?

Bill, I'm not sure how to do this, the switch was missing and years ago my dad just put a plug on the motor as a "switch." A bit dangerous, I know!

Where is a good place to look for motors such as you suggest for retail sale/s?

All motor repair shops sell motors also, new and used. Take your motor in to a repair shop and see what they can do..

I'll pull the motor this weekend and have more info. I have no idea how much a rebuild costs, you'd have to give me a range. I do want to get the machine back up and running again. Looking at the cost of replacement means I have quite a bit of headroom for repair on the original, if it can happen. I'd like to keep the original if possible as everything else on the unit is from the same era.

Unfortunately, as with so many other previously rebuildable devices, it is becoming harder and harder to find anyone competent that will perform that function at a reasonable rate. (at least for small motors under 3 HP ) Usually, if you live in or near a good size city with some industry there will be at least one repair/rewind shop,but you will probably find the cost of rewinding is going to be as much as a new motor,or so close as to make it not very cost effective. All in all, its a motor, it is a tool with little sentimental value, as long as you can get one with the same frame size or one that will fit without major modification, buy one and get back to making chips... Jim (oh, just for reference, I am probably overly frugal/cheap myself and tend to search out the best deals as much as possible)

Well sir, here is the motor type and specs...

General Electric

Model: 5KC43MG17EX

HP: 1/4 FR: 56
V: 115 PH: 1
RPM: 1140 CODE: M

Thermal Protection

A: 5.8 CY: 60
Temp Rise: 40c SF:1.35
SER: RSL

The motor has oil caps over the bearings and instructions for oiling schedules. It also has end caps that have two tabs for the cradle mounts. They clamp over the end caps on the tabs and a screw fastens down the assembly. Trying to fit a new motor to that assembly look to be a PITA. So, I'd like to have this motor repaired, if possible!

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Well sir, here is the motor type and specs...

General Electric

Model: 5KC43MG17EX

HP: 1/4 FR: 56
V: 115 PH: 1
RPM: 1140 CODE: M

Thermal Protection

A: 5.8 CY: 60
Temp Rise: 40c SF:1.35
SER: RSL

The motor has oil caps over the bearings and instructions for oiling schedules. It also has end caps that have two tabs for the cradle mounts. They clamp over the end caps on the tabs and a screw fastens down the assembly. Trying to fit a new motor to that assembly look to be a PITA. So, I'd like to have this motor repaired, if possible!

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Back