Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10K,

A last question... if I'm cutting mainly wood and plastic do I still need the extra HP? My usage is VERY light, aluminum being the "hardest" material. I don't use it to thread (with all the gear changes and such). It is truly a polisher and "hobby" lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After checking around this would be my choice for a single phase budget motor-
    MTR2-P50-1AB18 | Standard Performance AC Motor: general purpose, 1/2hp (PN# MTR2-P50-1AB18) | AutomationDirect

it has a good solid warranty backed by a company with a good reputation, will provide all the power you need, and note the bottom feet are removable which should make mounting a bit easier, is TEFC so no worries there...you WILL need a 2" motor pulley!!! That is very important! Otherwise you will be overspeeding the lathe and possibly damage it.

Here is the pulley- Gates BK20 x 5/8" - you want a 5L belt to go with it.

Gates - BK20 X 5'/'8 - Motion Industries

Ps- you might not need that bit of exrta bit of power now, but rest assured you will eventually and it doent really cost more anyway.
    Last edited by iwananew10K; 03-07-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks 10K!

Getting the old girl up and running will be fantastic... it's funny, I can go for months w/o needing it, but when I do, well, you know the drill :-)!

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and to add to 10K's recommendation if I might, a larger motor won't work as hard and last longer. Eventually you will use more of your lathe's capability, if you have it you will use it... Jim

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    and to add to 10K's recommendation if I might, a larger motor won't work as hard and last longer. Eventually you will use more of your lathe's capability, if you have it you will use it... Jim
    Agreed, and thanks for all of your input. It is much appreciated!

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea if the original poster has already found and bought a motor, or even decided firmly on what motor he wants to buy, but I have an original 1/2 HP motor from an approximately late 1950s/ early 1960s SB10K, and this one has a drive exactly like the "9s" and I am not going to be using that motor because I am going to go 3 phase/ VFD.

The condition when I bought the lathe was little-used though fairly grubby, and I have not run it (and the seller had the wiring apart from a prior move) until I can really pull it down and refresh it from top to bottom. The seller told me that the motor worked and I have no reason to expect it doesn't, and probably has very few hours on it, and I could test it. I don't know if it's worth the trouble to either of us to ship it. Just putting it out there....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

kd1yt,

I was away on business and just got back. I'm interested in your motor, is it a 56 series and is it on its cradle? I can use my old cradle if the mounts are the same.

Thanks for posting this info!

CR

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been busy with work and family and just saw your reply. It is a 56 motor and it is on/ in its cradle. Let me try to find some time, although it may be a few days or even next weekend before I can hook it up to confirm that it runs. I am virtually certain that it runs as the whole lathe was little-used and the seller seemed very honest, but I wouldn't want to sell it to you without confirming for my own eyes that it runs- it would be a massive waste of both of our time if it arrived for you and didn't work. Once I confirm that it works, would $75 plus actual shipping seem reasonable? I looked on ebay and South Bend motors are all over the map, although mostly at the nutty-expensive end of the map... I am not looking to take advantage... but I could use the funds for countless other aspects of my lathe project and other projects

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

kd1yt,

That is more than fair... if it works just let me know. My email is: [email protected]

That's easier than always logging into the forum.

Craig