What's new
What's new

Accessory decals

lonestar308

Plastic
I'm in the middle of a complete refurb of my 1945 9A and found these items in the box of accessories...they all have a South Bend decal that I would like to find replacements for if possible. Also, I have no idea what the flat edge pieces are for...could someone help me out?
2db6651445a9008548e599975a450829.jpg
e647d042e244ecdcd28d08aed62cf4e0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

They look like woodworking tool rests, I think I saw that option somewhere, maybe in how to run a lathe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, definitely for wood turning. It looks like they mount directly to the cross slide in place of the compound using the mount attached to the smaller rest in the picture. Pretty clever, I may make my own now after seeing it.

+1 on wood turning. I had something very similar with my first SB 9... Which I regretfully sold... The device at the top looks like a boring bar?

I like the decals. I wonder if they are limited to woodworking tools?

I wish someone in the business could reproduce these water-slide type decals.

Ah...woodworking tools...that makes sense. The boring bar seemed a bit large for metalworking....I'm holding off on cleaning them up until I figure out if I can find repro decals...

Did you ever have any luck with these? Just curious. I do graphics and vinyl. I am not probably interested in printing something like this but I enjoy recreating old logo’s on the graphics side. I’ll look and see if I can find any cleaner image of the logo and recreate something you can take to a print shop and get something made from. I’ll post it up when I get it done. Hopefully the forum allows the file to upload. We’ll find out.

Well I tried to upload but the file is just too big and it won't take an .ai file anyway which is what your print shop would want. Even the PDF file was too large by a lot. Attached is a screen shot of what I came out with. If this is something you can use let me know and I'll email it to you or something. I had to guess at the lower part of that lettering and the actual lathe is sort of a hybrid from the one posted on the forum that is made from tin or brass. The colors in the screen shot are not awesome, especially the background. I originally had gold gradient and removed it hoping it would reduce the file size. It did but not enough to get anywhere near the limit. The true file is editable and scalable for size. I would suggest printing the red and black on gold chrome vinyl.

Paul

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 12.28.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 12.28.06 AM.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 84
Paul,

I’m not sure if you’re a member, but there’s a decals page on the Vintage Machinery wiki website for items like this. If you’re willing to share it with everyone/anyone, that would be a great place to put it. I used one of the Boice Crane decals from there for a bandsaw project last year.

OWWM decals - VintageMachinery.org Knowledge Base (Wiki)

-Keith

the ceramics hobby world uses water slide decals. and most potters just make their own. you can buy the paper for your printer.
It wouldnt be as classy as the old way, where you silkscreen on the paper, but, if you want, you can have those made, by a silkscreen shop, or set up to do it yourself, with oil based inks.
I had a friend who used to make his own decals- he had a darkroom to make his own photosensitive screens, and he used signmakers silkscreen ink.
its not very high tech.
OneStepPapers.com

Water Slide Decal Printing Procedure

the ceramics hobby world uses water slide decals. and most potters just make their own. you can buy the paper for your printer.
It wouldnt be as classy as the old way, where you silkscreen on the paper, but, if you want, you can have those made, by a silkscreen shop, or set up to do it yourself, with oil based inks.
I had a friend who used to make his own decals- he had a darkroom to make his own photosensitive screens, and he used signmakers silkscreen ink.
its not very high tech.
OneStepPapers.com

Water Slide Decal Printing Procedure

I'm no printing history buff and actually have no idea how the originals were made but I'm pretty sure they were nothing high tech by todays standard. That's good info

Paul,

I’m not sure if you’re a member, but there’s a decals page on the Vintage Machinery wiki website for items like this. If you’re willing to share it with everyone/anyone, that would be a great place to put it. I used one of the Boice Crane decals from there for a bandsaw project last year.

OWWM decals - VintageMachinery.org Knowledge Base (Wiki)

-Keith

I went over there and signed up and loaded it up in a couple formats. Pretty sure that I didn’t get the thumb view loaded the way it’s supposed to but I am running on safari on my Mac and maybe thats the deal. Not my strong suit but the design in there in the directory if someone is looking for it. Cool site over there BTW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back