What's new
What's new

Adapter Needed To Mount a Dead/Live Center in the Head stock of a Heavy 10

taildragger

Plastic
Is anyone aware of a source for an adapter to mount a dead or live center in the head stock of a Heavy 10 so that work can be turned between centers. My search for an answer was not definitive. My lathe has the large spindle.

Thanks

Taildragger

Usually they show up on ebay, but I'll say the same thing I always say. Unless you need to turn a part the absolute maximum length your machine will handle, just put a piece of steel in the chuck, turn a 60 degree point on it, and use a chuck jaw to drive the dog.

allan

if you must have one, Miller Machine and Fabrication will make you a nice new one for about what you will pay for an unknown used one off ebay.

Usually they show up on ebay, but I'll say the same thing I always say. Unless you need to turn a part the absolute maximum length your machine will handle, just put a piece of steel in the chuck, turn a 60 degree point on it, and use a chuck jaw to drive the dog.

allan

This in the chuck center will run dead true to your spindle an run with the part, and you can dog off a jaw..

Making a collet held shouldered center so it will not push in, and with a hole for a drive pin to push a dog is a very handy device...Yes being not hard so you can 60* skim it each time you use it.

Yes the same with face plate and a machine taper held center...

You can check taper with your fish.

Thanks so much for the photos. I have had my heavy 10 for a couple of years now and am trying to learn it's capabilities.
I will watch ebay and see if anything turns up and take everyone's advice in the mean time.

Taildragger

I meant to say that I have an MT3 adapter for a Heavy 10 FOR SALE!. I normally sell on ebay, because that's the way to get wide distribution of your items, but I would prefer to sell one-on-one and save the pound of flesh that ebay extracts from my behind. I've sold some to people who frequent this forum.

None at all. I really didn't want a hardened adapter inside my hardened spindle. If any damage were to occur, I want it limited to the adapter.

I don't see a need for hardening them anyway. The tapers fit quite tightly - you have to bang them out with a knock-out bar.

Back