What's new
What's new

Advice on SB Lathe Purchase

MillersFalls

Plastic
Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a lathe, probably a South Bend, so I thought I would ask your opinion on two that are for sale near me. I am sure this comes up a lot, but this one looks a bit different than usual.

The seller says it was built for the navy in WWII, and so it doesn't have a SB plate on it, but it looks like South Bend to me. That said I have been looking around and have not been able to find any that look quite like it, so it is possible it is not a south bend, in which case this post should be removed.

So does anybody know anything more about this lathe, unfortunately it is 3 hrs away from me or otherwise I would stop by and check it out. Would I be better off buying a 9A that is much closer for ~$1000?

Thanks much in advance.

Here are the pictures
00N0N_iTCrRUoNHK2_600x450.jpg IMG951482.jpg IMG951481.jpg IMG951479.jpg 586034090.jpg

Just my 2C, it doesn’t look like a South Bend, but closer to an older Monarch (my option don’t shoot me). Even if it didn’t have a tag because it was made for the navy it still would have a serial number stamped into the tailstock end of the bed on the operator side. I’ve also never heard of navy models not having the south bend tag on them but I’m no expert. Regardless of what he wants for this machine (which is probably too much) I would still tell you to go with the 9A for $1000 depending on the condition and included accessories.

Well, it seems the pictures I posted are not in fact a SB. It looks like it might be a Hendy, but I am no expert, clearly.

To compensate, here are some pictures of the other lathe I am looking at, which is definitely a South Bend. It seams to be a Heavy 10, not a 9A as I previously stated.

67309941_2978902625667334_6503459090423873536_n.jpg67541429_2978901952334068_6620225120759709696_n.jpg

Do not buy this SB lathe!

Send me the seller's phone number so I can berate him for trying to sell such a pile of junk. ;)

Last edited:
If you buy the Heavy 10 and need a drawer for it send me a message.

ETA: nevermind, I see it on the floor now.

Where is the photo of the front and rear Way's up by the headstock. The photo of the ways is taken at an angle that makes it appear that its up front. That's a good picture of the way by the tailstock end where its rarely used. Anyone selling a lathe should know to show the wear on the ways but rarely take pictures of it. Some wear is expected but you can't hide it when a buyer arrives to look at it.
Used car sale's mentality.
If the OP took the photos I could understand them not knowing if they are new to lathe's.

Not a Hendey, but has some Hendeyish features. Most certainly in no way a SB

Hendey put their name at top of thread/feed chart on QC gear box - as in Thumbnail. Interested folks looking at the non Hendey could see if some other name was on that chart

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 73
Agree w/ Mr. Oder...not Hendey.
my eyes are screwing with me today, but I think the first one may be a Carroll Jaimieson...if so they are very nice basic machines...a step above SB and a step below,say, Leblond....if you have a pic that also shows the tailstock it would help...Vernon is also a possibility, but like i said my eyes are wonky today.:)

Neither the Carroll-Jamieson or the Vernon appear to have used the spring locking selector handle on the gear box that is shown here. One thing I noticed is the high lip of the bowl.

Tom

Here is a picture of the tailstock, sort of, and one with the ways up by the chuck. It's hard to see much in these photos, everything seems to be covered in dust. I'm sorry I can't get better pictures. If it were any closer I'd go look at it, now I'm quite curious as to what it is.
IMG951478.jpgIMG951483.jpg

It is a 10L (heavy ten)...CL 187AB..a four footer with wide range gearbox. I do not see, and it probably does not have, a taper attachment, but not a problem unless you need one. It does have a chasing dial for threading. They are a nice lathe. Top spindle speed about 1000 rpm. I have one just like it in '57 vintage. Parts are AVAILABLE. I have to wonder about the cobbled up wiring..Is the motor still reverseable?
The Mulliner, on the other hand will transmit a lot of power to the spindle with those big wide cones and wide belt, BUT, top spindle speed, I'm guessing is about 450 rpm. I don't think it has a double wall apron so you'll have to do more oiling...and if that has been neglected in the past and parts are worn you WON'T find them. Of course past neglect will have affected the S.B. as well.
Figure out what kind of work you'll be doing with your lathe and look for one that "fits the bill". Choose carefully. PB.

Back