What's new
What's new

Advice on a tool post

Josephhart

Plastic
Hello, I have recently purchased a 13” by 5’ southbend lathe (catalog # CL 8145B)… I’m in search of a good made tool post for this lathe that would have the 4 different types of cutting attachments and that can be set stationary to center point and replace the lantern style tool post.
Thank you
Pastor Joseph S. Hart.

The Aloris style qctp is pretty much the norm. Aloris and Dorian being the USA made, higher quality and cost versions. Phase II the better quality Chinese version, mid range price. Then all the others, chinese made, at lower price.

You first step is deciding which size. That is in relation to the centerline of work, where you bring tool tip in at. All the different sizes, axa, bxa, cxa etc will get taller per size. So knowing the tool post height in combination with the holders height on tool post will halp make your decision.

Example, look at the two links. One for CXA tool post. then the link for a cxa-1 tool holder. Look at the dimension pics. Do the math and see if its in you range. My guess is BXA or CXA size for you.
Tool Post:
Super-Precision Tool Post CXA

Tool Holder CXA-1:
Turning and Facing Holder CXA-1

If we are talking a QCTP, the 13 takes a BXA.
I believe the Phase II is a 200 size. Get a wedge style, not the piston style.

I'm not convinced he isn't talking about multfix.

Back