What's new
What's new

Aloris AX QCTP and BX tool holders -- go figure

Yan Wo

Stainless
My 1948 9A inexplicably came with (what I now believe to be) an old Aloris AX tool post and six BX holders.

ABA BXA Set.jpg

I used the AXA and BXA dimensions given by Rich Carlstedt in an old PM post and drew the dovetails in AutoCAD, printed them, and cut them out. Using these precision gauges, I determined the QCTP is definitely AXA size and the holders are definitely AXB size.

Only one on the holders is marked Aloris.

BX holder.jpg

Several of the tool holders had tooling in them, and all were covered with chips, so I have to assume they were being used on the lathe.

One of the holders -- second from the left -- has a shim welded to it.

I want AXA holders -- and a non-piston tool post, eventually. Anyone want the BX holders?

I have a full AXA QCTP, piston type, that I bought for my smaller lathe and never used. It has a bunch of toolholders. I think it's a chinese thing, but it looks very nice and tight (not binding).

I was planning to put this up on ebay to move it along.

Show a side pic od that parting holder...if it's what I think it is its the best one ever made IMO....can you tell if the slot is slightly angles to accommodate tapered style blades?

Those are nice because they pull the blade in and down, those that have a flat gib and screws on top have a tendency to roll the blade out at the top if you aren’t fussy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mystery deepens!

More careful examination revealed that the tool post is AX size, but only ONE of the holders is BX. That's the one marked Aloris. The others are neither AX nor BX, so I still don't know what I have.

Mystery deepens!

More careful examination revealed that the tool post is AX size, but only ONE of the holders is BX. That's the one marked Aloris. The others are neither AX nor BX, so I still don't know what I have.
How are the others different? What are the measurements of the dovetails?

Likely just someone's home brewed BXA...wedge a couple same size dowels that contact about the halfway point of the dovetails and use a caliper to get a rough measure.

Back