Ancient Southbend 13" lathe need a little help !
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Ancient Southbend 13" lathe need a little help !

    So ill start off by saying i know little about lathes, i wanted to teach myself how to run a lathe and bought a nice condition older sb locally. Ill be restoring the entire machine here shortly. Backlash is kinda excessive on the crossfeed which i can repair, but everything else is in awesome shape, bearings are tight, gears perfect etc.. im going to disassemble clean and repaint and possibly replace bearings etc. If avail. from what i gathered by the serial # its a 1922-23? It has powerfeed etc. One of my main questions: are parts available for this machine (bearings etc.) And where can i find a set of change gears for threading both metric and in.? It came with nothing. I got it for $900 and like i said it runs smooth and was well taken care of. Also im not sure exactly whay model it is, definitely similar to the 192x lathes i looked up prior to quick change gearing. Any help would really be appreciated!!



    suntrust open near me

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    The serial # is 28676. Cast into the center of the machine is what looks like 8. 17. 22

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    28,743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Series 0 - last made over 80 years ago

    Usually no parts - unless of course from identical donor machine

    Gears are most usually not "found" - they are made as needed

    Here is a 1923 catalog

    http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/79JR/cat_79jr.pdf

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    savannah, jaw-ja
    Posts
    1,669
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1031
    Likes (Received)
    375

    Default

    You aren't going to find bearings. Please know what you are doing before you attempt to remove the spindle caps or you will bugger up the ones you have. Very common mistake.
    If you will get a copy of How to Run A Lathe (HTRAL ) by Southbend it will walk you through how to see if the bearings need adjusting, and if they do, how to adjust them.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    28,743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is the HTRAL from 1927

    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

    All the Series O had hefty thick walled bronze spindle bearings

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Im not servicing anything until i have a good idea how to properly disassemble and reassemble. Thank you for the info, much appreciated. The spindle is nice and tight so ill prob leave it as is. The crossfeed needs a little love but thats easy. So im pretty much sol for threading with this machine without finding gears id assume. Maybe i can fab up a qc gearbox to work but i dont want to dump a ton of $ in it if its not worth doing. Most of its purpose will be for bushings etc. But id like capability to thread as well. Kinda went blind on this one but itll be a good machine to learn basics on

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South Bend, In
    Posts
    2,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    150
    Likes (Received)
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lk4z-slc View Post
    Im not servicing anything until i have a good idea how to properly disassemble and reassemble. Thank you for the info, much appreciated. The spindle is nice and tight so ill prob leave it as is. The crossfeed needs a little love but thats easy. So im pretty much sol for threading with this machine without finding gears id assume. Maybe i can fab up a qc gearbox to work but i dont want to dump a ton of $ in it if its not worth doing. Most of its purpose will be for bushings etc. But id like capability to thread as well. Kinda went blind on this one but itll be a good machine to learn basics on
    Figure out the pitch and which gears you need, with the width and hole size, and make a list.
    I have a lot of old change gears
    Ted
    [email protected]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Ill measure them up. Id like to do metric and inch really in all different sizes if possible.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    85
    Likes (Received)
    600

    Default

    Do not attempt to restore this lathe. It looks perfect now, and its only original once. All it needs is oil, electricity, and someone to run it. You'll do more harm than good when you tear into it.

    allan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Ill probably just degrease and paint it being that parts are a rarity. I own a body and fab shop, we do this stuff all the time, Like i said, not going to disassemble anything major unless i have proper specs and procedure, otherwise yes itll be a nightmare and i dont plan to render a good machine useless.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    24,149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4258

    Default

    "All the Series O had hefty thick walled bronze spindle bearings"

    These pre-date the shell bearing with expander design, correct? They will
    be less fussy to diassemble and shim for clearance if this should ever be
    needed.

    Machine is in amazingly nice condition of the photos are accurate.

    Where in NY state is it located?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Photos are accurate took them last night. Located in hudson valley ny.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    24,149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lk4z-slc View Post
    Photos are accurate took them last night. Located in hudson valley ny.
    That covers a lot of ground. I'm in peekskill.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    newark DE USA
    Posts
    1,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    104

    Default

    Just do the spindle bearing test to see if the spindle is OK. That machine looks like a specimen.Appears to be original paint even.You said you are a body man,but this is something not to paint.As kitno said just run it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    newark DE USA
    Posts
    1,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    104

    Default

    The bearing test is in the SBL booklet "keeping your lathe in trim" that can be found in the stickeys of this forum.You will need a dial indicator.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    9,119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2554
    Likes (Received)
    5953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lk4z-slc View Post
    So ill start off by saying i know little about lathes, i wanted to teach myself how to run a lathe and bought a nice condition older sb locally. Ill be restoring the entire machine here shortly. Backlash is kinda excessive on the crossfeed which i can repair, but everything else is in awesome shape, bearings are tight, gears perfect etc.. im going to disassemble clean and repaint and possibly replace bearings etc. If avail. from what i gathered by the serial # its a 1922-23? It has powerfeed etc. One of my main questions: are parts available for this machine (bearings etc.) And where can i find a set of change gears for threading both metric and in.? It came with nothing. I got it for $900 and like i said it runs smooth and was well taken care of. Also im not sure exactly whay model it is, definitely similar to the 192x lathes i looked up prior to quick change gearing. Any help would really be appreciated!!



    suntrust open near me
    Get that chuck key out of the chuck, it should only be in the chuck if it is also in your hand. What is the obsession with paint? It looks fine, leave it alone and make some chips. Paint does not make a lathe more accurate.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    49
    Likes (Received)
    40

    Default

    Is that metal work on the back some kind of home made motor mount? Can you post a photo of the back of the lathe.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    newark DE USA
    Posts
    1,156
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    104

    Default

    What Moonlight said about the key is one of the first lessons in lathe work, or drill press operating for that matter. Anyone who uses these old machines and sees a key in a Chuck will react. In a modern machine shop everything is covered up with interlocked guards that won’t let you start the machine with the key in it.
    What I really got on here for was to say I would also like to see the drive unit on the back of that machine. I built one for an old Reed lathe (pre 1900). It worked fine,but the one you have there appears to be box channel. A step above what I did.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •