What's new
What's new

Another SouthBend 9" lathe

tomcat1

Plastic
New to me southbend 9". I'm calling it a 9C but I think it's a year before they started calling them 9a,b,c .

I have no lathe experience at all, but I build vintage Harley's as a hobby and always wanted one. It's probably worn out but it will be good to learn on. 1935 model 15-ZB. I'm going to take it apart and clean and check the wear for now. Trying not to get to carried away in refurbishing/restoring it. Just want to get it functional. It runs, but just don't know what the run out or backlash, way wear is just yet. came with a 6" and 4" chuck. all the change gears. tool post. a bunch of hss and carbide bits . 3 tool holders. ect.

XkReOp.png
[/URL]

wJHlPn.jpg
[/URL]

BADV9e.jpg
[/URL]

amVEHv.jpg
[/URL]

kdue6W.jpg
[/URL]

thanks John,

I'm having problems getting the "new" dayton motor to run correct. I can get it to run forwards and rev. but it gets really hot and smokes. I believe I have it wired correctly single voltage GE type motor. Any help will be great.

I am not great with motors but would guess you can not use the motor schematic from the switch since you have a different motor. From your motor you need to switch the red and black wires between the #2 and #5 terminal, looks to me you could do this by connecting #2 and 5 terminals to the center poles on the switch and connecting the red and black wires to upper right and lower left poles then add a jumper between the center and lower poles on the right. I think this will reverse the motor but it is not disconnecting the line feeds to the motor so I do not know if the motor will still run in the off position or be safe. So my advice is worth about what it costs.

I have occasionally thought about trying to rewire my lathe so it is reversible but think I need to find an expert.

Back