What's new
What's new

Is anybody selling new or reconditioned 1/2 nuts

sicero

Stainless
I hate to buy used 1/2 nuts that are about wore out. Is anybody reworking 1/2 nuts for the 9 and 10" SB? New ones, if they are still available are about 1/2 of what my machines are worth. Any suggestions. Sicero

Hi There,

Yes, there was a guy over on the Yahoo SBL group that was rebuilding 9"/10K half nuts. He sometimes would put some up on eBay. It looks like he does a good job. He relines them with bronze (or brass). Here is a link to that group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/

I think you have to join the group in order to post a question. But it is worth joining. You can do a search of their archives (use the search function).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

I have been trying to register for the site on Yahoo and filled out the form about a dozen times and when I try to complete the registry a sign comes up this page connot be displayed at this time, try later. sicero

I'm going to have to do that to my 13" soon. There was a guy on one of the boards who bored his and installed a threaded bronze sleeve with JB Weld,which he then split. I kind of like the idea but would use some more substantial way to hold the sleeve in. Any ideas?
Regards,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Don't knock JB Weld. It holds great (if the surfaces are prepared right). Another good epoxy is Brownells' Acraglass. I think Acraglass Gel would be best for this project.

Also, you could solder the bronze to the cast iron. Something like Brownells' Hi Force 444 (I think) or tin/silver bearing solder. You will need a good fit for the solder to "wick" its way in and have a strong bond. The epoxy is just easier and more forgiving.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Back