What's new
What's new

Anyone know where I can find a taper screw mount for a 10L ?

MKUltra

Plastic
Bought a heavy 10 with the taper attachment but the end mount that the screw locks onto the bed with it missing. Anyone know where I might be able to find one.

Bought a heavy 10 with the taper attachment but the end mount that the screw locks onto the bed with it missing. Anyone know where I might be able to find one.

The part that actually clamps to the bed is called a bed clamp. So unless I'm misunderstanding, you need a bed clamp for a heavy 10 taper attachment.

I might buy this and use the bed clamp, when needed. I'd message seller and ask for measurements before buying:
South Bend Heavy 10 Lathe 5C Collet Rack Complete Assembly | eBay

During normal lathe operation you leave the bed clamp off the taper attachment. By leaving it off, you wont bind and crack it.

I see what your getting at . Done a little reading and it looks like some babbit pouring will be in order. I'd probably just make a bearing housing and use a roller bearing instead.

During normal operations, you just leave the bed clamp loose, so that it just follows the carriage - you don't disconnect it from the TA.

Actually I do disconnect it from the TA. :D

I think a little more famous for cracking on other lathe brands, though Kevin T's SB 16 was cracked too that I'm aware of. If part of a collet rack I'd put it at the very edge of bed on tail stock end. Other wise take it off and throw it in a drawer, or put it in the chip pan or something.

If it bumps into something, or binds when power feeding it'll most likely get damaged. Also leaving it on the bed but disconnected, it can get bumped if not at the absolute end of bed. Its not my invention, if you notice a lot of lathes with a TA, the clamp is off the bed.

One style a little more famous for bump cracking:

249.jpg

Yes mine is cracked. I'm sure I inherited the crack but even so I do bump it into things softly and less often than I used to but usually under hand power when moving the saddle around! I'm lucky with the 6' long bed too but I questioned the guys at the time who said, "Oh just take it off when you're not using it". Mine is press fit and not easy to take on or off. I tried after reading about others who do this. It's a major setup on my lathe to R/R that part. Mine might be the way the mothership intended for the big toolroom lathe IDK. My taper work is decorative, usually, so anything would work for me I reckon. YMMV

During normal operations, you just leave the bed clamp loose, so that it just follows the carriage - you don't disconnect it from the TA.

Just take it off, it is pretty stupid to leave it on dragging chips and whatnot around and wearing that soft as butter bed. It has no wipers to keep it clean under it!

The collet rack holder and the TA tie rod bracket are two different animals (although they do look similar). The tie rod is set in the bracket with a babbitt pour during fitting.

What is that thing?

Pretty sure the South Bends were indeed babbit poured, atleast some anyway. Have not tried yet, but I was thinking a sleeve could be added to the collet rack holder as the dimensions are the same. You'd just have to spend a little time to ensure you weren't putting the TA in a bind when tightened down, But I don't think all too hard to work out.

That pic was off a Monarch, pretty sure John Oder's. Some Monarchs use two rods, the skinny rod I believe was added to prevent cracking them. So not sure how that one broke, but they may have drilled the skinny hole in prep for a repair and to add a skinny rod. Another example of how they look:

6.jpg

That is one of my rainy day projects! They are piling up though!

You can just loosen the nut on the bar and lift it off the way a slight bit. Then it won't increase the wear at all when not in use. I guess if you're using it a lot then you may want a wiper.

Back