What's new
What's new

Anyone using inserts for cutting with the older Southbend lathe?

clay27bsouthbend

Cast Iron
I've used HSS for cutting in the past years. A machinist I worked with sharpened some HSS for me years ago and now they are dull. I don't have the skill or good grinder to resharpen the HSS. So I'm thinking of maybe changing to inserts. What is anyone using? My lathe is a 1922, 11".

That is just soooooo much like "The pencil I was issued in 6th grade is finally down to a useless nub, where can I buy an electric typewriter?"

Electric typewriters are indisputably useful, and in many cases more productive than pencils. But a replacement pencil is one heck of a lot cheaper than an electric typewriter. (Clue for the young: Typewriters predated computers for word processing. After 10 years of using manual typewriters, upgrading to an IBM Selectric with integral Lift-Off Tape correction ribbon was like being assigned to Paradise for sunset-watching duty.)

So, yes, you can get lathe toolholders for indexable inserts in sizes appropriate to your machine. You may want to avoid the most common "negative rake" styles, to be kindest to your machine and most similar to your existing HSS tools. But please get yourself a basic bench grinder or belt grinder, so you can (among other things) sharpen your HSS tools.

You can buy a useable 6" bench grinder for $50 from one of "those" tools stores. It won't be the best grinder on the planet but it will grind HSS tooling just fine. $50 will disappear very quickly down the insert tooling rabbit hole and you still won't have the versatility you'd have using HSS tooling and grinding your own. I think you'll find that the carbide inserts are a mixed blessing and if you're new to using them, you'll find that they are very easily damaged. Get the grinder!

To be a decent lathe hand or hobby guy one need to know how and when to use HSS and/or inserts.
There will be odd shapes that for no insert is made/or in house when you need it so hand grinding fills that need.
HSS and hand grinding save much money.
Good to also have a fish gauge, a loop and a bench grinder. IMHO.

The loop to steer into an existing thread..for repair or whatever.
fish the square off you threading bit.

You don't say what size SB you are using. I tried to use carbide inserts on my SB9 for some time. I finally stumbled onto a tangential holder that uses 1/4" HSS. Easy to grind. Does a great job on most metals. A lot more economical than carbide. Regards, Clark

as someone that HAD to go to insert tooling, I can absolutely say they work if you get the right stuff...which IMO on light,slow machines is the world of TCxx,CCxx,DCxx inserts, and for threading the laydown style...once you know what works it need not be expensive...on a hobby level they can last quite a long while.

I've used HSS for cutting in the past years. A machinist I worked with sharpened some HSS for me years ago and now they are dull.

Look for a set of these, they pop up on ebay once or twice a year. South Bend grinding jigs.

blhR1Rs.jpg

This guy has knock-offs pretty cheap.

Reproduction South Bend Lath Works Grinding Gage and Jig

You can find a HF grinder on CL for $25.

As mentioned, Warner inserts for HSS. Used to use them, but went to carbide...
Yes, you most certainly can use carbide- but it takes experimentation in speeds/feeds as well as type of insert to find what works well. IOW- not as forgiving as HSS in my own experience. Positive rake inserts work best.

Much higher speeds (x2 HSS) for me usually, very slow feed rate/ small nose radius, and heavy depth of cut on the small diameter 4140 I usually work with gives a great surface finish.

I can't understand the reasoning of buying insert tooling for this application because you don't have a decent grinder or don't know how to sharpen tool bits. You need a decent grinder. Buy a decent used bench grinder and a cheapo diamond wheel for one end. Buy some good brazed carbide tool bits and that combined with the hss bits you have and you will be good to go for many years.

Back