What's new
What's new

sliding gear question

hahnpv

Plastic
New-to-me South Bend lathe. I can't seem to get the sliding gear to slide.

I can't quite tell, there may be a collar over the shaft effectively locking out the middle gear (blue arrow). I also don't have a handle on it. I'm guessing a previous owner locked it out as such.

There is a nut on the inside of the banjo, and the outside end has two holes. What is the purpose of those holes? Do I need some kind of spanner to remove it, or is it safe to undo the nut on the other end? I presume its just a shaft, just making sure before I break something.

thanks,

philip

sbgearfront.jpg

sbgearside.jpg

Loosen the green nut on the banjo shown in your first pic. That should allow the banjo to move easily, disengaging the gear. It should slide now - if not, it could be frozen. It's just an idler, so it should move freely.

I'm not really sure what nut you are referring to that is inside the banjo.

Follow the line yellow to the bottom right there
bc6649848c430af10bb8342e58839d8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm not really sure what nut you are referring to that is inside the banjo.

I'm trying to figure out why the sliding gear - on the shaft where the blue arrow is pointing won't slide. On the inside of the banjo, between the banjo and the lathe, there is a nut on the shaft holding the sliding gear. Can I simply unthread the nut or is there more trickery to it than that?

thanks
philip

You should be able to loosen the banjo nut then the banjo will tilt down. gears will be separated , then the nut on the gear you're talking about, loosen and that which should slide with in the banjo, back-and-forth and should disassemble.

The nut on the shaft you're trying to loosen it should slide, you could remove the nut that shaft is on, should disassemble off the banjo completely if needed.

OK, so I gave the nut a little extra push and got it turning. Pulled off the gear and yes, previous owner shimmed both ends of the sliding gear to lock it out. Picture shows the collars on either side of the gear I removed from the shaft.

Looks like I need to make or find a sliding handle. This video seems to do a good job of describing it.

sbgearcollar.jpg

I would guess bush (or spacing collar) behind comes off and is put on out front. It is a two position arrangement but is not a "sliding" gear that moves back and forth willy nilly

Thumbnail is a SIMILAR arrangement on screw itself

Attachments

• Simple and Compounded.jpg
    Simple and Compounded.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 59
Single tumbler gearbox, yes?

These typically have a knurled handle presented to the outside world through the gear
cover. Somebody have been "into" your machine and doctored it up, possibly to make
up for a lack of the correct parts?

Single tumbler gearbox, yes?

These typically have a knurled handle presented to the outside world through the gear
cover. Somebody have been "into" your machine and doctored it up, possibly to make
up for a lack of the correct parts?

Yes, and yes. The other doctored up part is the leadscrew and half-nut assembly are missing and replaced with a solid shaft with a keyway. So I have power feed but can't thread. The two are connected I'm sure.

philip

Back