What's new
What's new

apron clutches for 13' #41507 lathe

Jimbos

Plastic
I'm a new member and would like some help on very old lathe. when I engage the apron it moves left to right ok but right to left it slips. Do you think it is clutch problem or an adjustment somewhere? I would also like to get a price and availability on converting to toggle cam operated apron clutch.

Thanks, Jimbo

I am looking in a parts book that i have , SBCE3458 parts manual, and the toggle clutch sleeve assembly part # is AXS4629T1. I tried Grizzly but they said its discontinued.

thanks for your info

Not sure if yours is a series 'O' or a more modern 113/8113, but they share a lot of the same basic design concepts. What part exactly is slipping? Does the lead screw continue to turn? If the lead screw stops turning then that's likely a simple matter of a sheared key. Otherwise I'd pull the apron off and take a look inside. Your clutch plates might be worn out. Not sure if they're interchangable with ones from a donor 113/8113/CL145.

To pull the apron you'll have to start at the geartrain, work your way to the quick-change gearbox, then finally pull the lead screw. The lead screw comes off with the gearbox. You'll need to drain the apron sump and source a new gasket for it as that needs to come off to get a good look inside.

If the plates are slipping, take a look at the drawbar mechanism. It might be possible to modify it or add a shim washer to permit more travel for compressing the clutch stack.

I'm not sure if the toggle style clutch would work on this machine, but from the drawings I have seen, I can't believe it would be too hard to make.

If yours is anything like my 1941, you can easily remove the apron buy moving the carriage all the way down to the tailstock end. Support the lead screw on the left of the apron, and then remove the lead screw support bearing. Then you should be able to remove the bolts that attach the apron to the saddle and slide it off to the right.

Removing the clutch plates can be done with minimal disassembly of the apron. Backing off the left hand screw on the clutch know and removing the knob. The pressure plate should come out the back. Then remove the clutch plates. You can dress them with some sandpaper on a flat surface. Not too fine a grid, it'll need some bite.

At least with the apron off, you can inspect the rest of it.

Back