What's new
What's new

Apron Mounting Bolts; 9A

As Jons said, the proper screwdriver is critical in keeping the slots in good shape, especially the profile of the business end of the screwdriver.
I wouldn't file the heads of the screws, or at least not yet. If you put the screw in a bench block or similar fixture, with a fairly close clearance hole, you can work the buggered slots make them look much better. all you need is something solid to back up the underside of the head. Once the screw is on solid ground so to speak, take a very small ball peen or similar hammer and carefully placed light taps can move the displaced material back where it belongs, but you want to move the metal slowly. Light taps and careful are the key words. In a few minutes, you'll be surprised at the results. Then you can clean up the slot and the flat head with a fine file. You should be able to reduce the ugly by about 75% or so.
I've been doing this for years with other things such as high end fly reels, not just machinery that Bubba has visited.
CWC(4)

Use a hammer to move the deformed metal back to where it came from. Only then you can proceed to use files. Buy a drag link socket to fit the cheese (Fillister) head screws.

Use a hammer to move the deformed metal back to where it came from. Only then you can proceed to use files. Buy a drag link socket to fit the cheese (Fillister) head screws.

Yes. I ground a small drag link socket to fit mine well. I'm not sure they were tight enough, however. They broke free at about 800 foot-pounds. ;)

I actually had to drill one of mine out it was so far gone, for now i just have a ever so slightly undersized Allen head bolt holding it up, ( still have a lot to fix on this machine.) it stick up just a little, anyone think this will present a problem? ( and I realize Machinist don't measure in "slightly or "a little" but I'm about 900 miles from the lathe right now and cant measure it..... and I'm only a wanna be machinist any way, worse yet I'm a wanna be fabricator!

I actually had to drill one of mine out it was so far gone, for now i just have a ever so slightly undersized Allen head bolt holding it up, it stick up just a little, anyone think this will present a problem?

It's not a problem. Some people have replaced all their cheesehead screws with SHCS. The only problem with a cap screw, is that the hole will hold turning swarf. If they stick up too much for your liking, just face the top down so that they fit flush. Or, if you're really ambitious, you can face the bottom of the head so that they fit flush. If your SHCS are black oxide, this will preserve the finish on the top so that you won't have to do any re-blackening.

Back