What's new
What's new

Backlash Compensated Cross Feed T-Nut?

Domodude17

Aluminum
Reading through "A Guide for Renovating the South Bend Lathe" and the section on the cross slide mentions a "Backlash Compensated T-Nut", but my lathe does not have one nor have I been able to find one online. It didn't appear to be split, but had a set screw coming in from the back off to the side. I want to get a new cross feed nut, so something like that might be handy if I can get one. Are those a thing that actually exist? I've only seen the split nut ones, and never for sale.

A fellow with a lathe can make up a two piece cross slide nut that screws together. Adjusting to remove the shake is easy.

I made one for my Logan way back when. It worked Great, but could do nothing to change the effects of wear on the center part of the screw.

If that’s something people would like, I can start offering them as a substitute to standard nuts? If you want one shoot me a message with the model lathe and I’ll reply shortly.

A fellow with a lathe can make up a two piece cross slide nut that screws together. Adjusting to remove the shake is easy.

I made one for my Logan way back when. It worked Great, but could do nothing to change the effects of wear on the center part of the screw.

When i saw the thread title, I was thinking that. I was guessing it must stiff or kind of bindy toward either end of the screw. Reading the replies, guessing you'd adjust it to be almost snug at the best part of screw.

Personally, if .001" or .100" , lost motion is lost motion,.... It needs to be attended to, and for me, the amount makes no difference.

I've given up on cross slide screw fits, within reason. Just so long as the dial track the readout! Even if the readout is a travel dial indicator.

Just call it "I can't see the obsessing over that detail" . Yes, It is an indication of wear. Big F..n. Deal. Buy New if you need new.

Numeric Controlled machines with ball screws are different. Don't confuse the two requirements.

IMO if backlash is enough to bother you, the better solution by far is a new nut and/or screw.....compensating nuts do not fix the problem and actually just make things worse....between backlash and binding I'll take the backlash.

Back