What's new
What's new

Baldor motor

coyotechet

Cast Iron
Hello
I am needing to replace the motor on my South Bend 9a because of a loud hum. The old motor on the lathe now is a Westinghouse 1/2 hp 1725rpm 115 Volt Reversible.
I have found a Baldor new in the box L3504 that I can buy for under $200.00.
I am pretty sure this will work but I know nothing about electric motors other then you have to plug them to make them run.
Here is the spec. of the motor. So My question this a good motor to for the 9a

L354 - Baldor.com

Thanks Chet

From what I can see, that motor should work fine. But there's still a few things you need to check. The first is the shaft diameter, make sure it is the same as what you have now. There is also the capacitor sticking up at the top of the motor. Make sure this is not going to hit your Lathe bed, or anything else for that matter. Also, measure the mounting bolt pattern, make sure it matches the frame of the new motor.

And although this is just a thought, A VFD and three-phase motor, Should not cost much more, And will give you greater flexibility, and a smoother rotational speed. Just something to think about. and there's no capacitors to worry about.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

You should be good on the shaft size but check it any way. ;) Where you may have to futz around some is the new motors mounting plate might night line up quite right with your old bold pattern. I recently installed a new motor on my SB 11" and had to fabricate a mounting adapter to get it to fit.

FWIW

-Ron

Baldor motors are very good, that motor can be wired 115VAC or 220/208VAC at lower amps, shaft is 5/8" with any luck it will match
your old motor. good luck

3 phase VFD

never thought about replacing it with 3 phase and VFD but that sounds like a very smart idea
I am going to do a little research. Like the I idea of less vibration.
Thanks to both Promacjoe and Car2.
Will keep you posted as to what I do thanks.

Chet

1st question will a 3 phase 1/2 hp motor with a VFD have the same power as a 1/2 single phase motor?
The 1/2 single phase has been plenty good for my use with the 9a. I also do have a nice Heavy ten.

Thanks Chet

1/2 hp with a VFD is 1/2 hp. They don't de-rate like you get with a static phase converter box. I haven't stalled the 1/2 hp motor on my 10L, so I'd expect it would be fine on a 9A.

Thanks Car2 (Charles)
Your reply is most helpful and as for your help I am for sure going 3 phase.
I also checked the Ebay motor and it is not as posted the Baldor site says the M3538-50 is a 1425RPM not 1725RPM as the seller has it posted. (The Name plate on the motor also shows 1425RPM). Your input has made up my mind and I will have a Baldor 3Phase ordered within the week along with a VFD.

Thanks again Chet
PS I may need to ask you for more advise or help as I get deeper in to this upgrade.

A Baldor motor will never work. Better off with a Marathon or Leeson.
Joe
PS I work for Marathon Electric, maker of Marathon, Leeson, Dayton, AO Smith, Lincon.....so I may be bias :)

The M3538-50 is spec'd for 50Hz power that is used in europe. It will work fine with 60Hz, but the base speed will climb to 1710 or so. I will reiterate the earlier call to check the shaft size of your current motor. It may not be the same as a 56 frame modern motor.

allan

The place I work for has been on Baldor motors ever since they bought out Reliance, which were original equipment. Honestly any induction motor that isn't horribly made will last a very long time. I've got some original equipment motors from the mid 80s still in service and working perfectly fine. One of them did fail a couple years ago, but it was just the bearings. I put in a set of new ones, and now it's a shelf spare. We might be switching to Marathon for pricing reasons, if the one we bought as a test motor holds up. The Baldors are nearly double the price.

Back