What's new
What's new

Ball Turning Tool

Kevin T

Stainless
Anyone make their own? It doesn't seem overly difficult but have you made one and have some knowledge or advice to share? I haven't decided on a design but it seems like I can make somethign to clamp onto my QCTP or straight to the compound.

Is there such a thing as modular dovetail components? Maybe I just don't know what to call it but say I wanted to have a dovetail assembly be part of the design to adjust the radiius, where might I find some pre-made dovetails that I can locate on a base by drilling or tapping them?

Over the top ball turner?

jim1.jpg

jim2.jpg

jim3.jpg

jim4.jpg

So how are you mounting the boring head to the block ? I'm guessing that teh boring head has a taper of some sort ? MT , R8 , or something like that ?
thanks
animal

they are on center.
its just from a diff approach.
"on center" is a bit of a misnomer.
really its "at the peak" or "top dead center" from whatever approach the tool is coming from.

I might be in luck here since I have an Aloris 41D with a 1.25 dia bore!

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image002.jpg

So is there anything to look for in my quest for an offset boring head?

It's just an inexpensive boring head from MSC corp. Nothing fancy. Mine has a threaded
spigot, and I just turned up a straight spindle to go in there. The spindle runs in a fairly snug
oilite bearing in that block.

More photos, repairing a busted handle:

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/pw_handle_fix_0.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/pw_handle_fix_1.jpg

pw_handle_fix_8.jpg

pw_handle_fix_9.jpg

pw_handle_fix_10.jpg

Problem with most designs is you have to keep away from the chuck a fair bit
Thats why I like the Witte RKD1 design
witte RKD1 - Google Search

Peter,

I followed your link and made my own search. This is a mechanism I never saw before. My guess is that the crank drives a worm and that drives the rotation of the cutting tool, but it is not clear to me exactly what part is actually rotating. It can't be the base with the two semicircle shapes, or is it?

If you would be so kind as to describe how it works , I would really appreciate it. If you have one and could take a sequence of pictures of it in action, it would be great. It doesn't need to cut anything, just seeing the movement is enough.

By the way, for everyone, if you want to see examples of even more elaborate ball cutters, search for the Hardinge one or the one by Monarch!

Thanks,

Jacques

Peter,

I followed your link and made my own search. This is a mechanism I never saw before. My guess is that the crank drives a worm and that drives the rotation of the cutting tool, but it is not clear to me exactly what part is actually rotating. It can't be the base with the two semicircle shapes, or is it?

If you would be so kind as to describe how it works , I would really appreciate it. If you have one and could take a sequence of pictures of it in action, it would be great. It doesn't need to cut anything, just seeing the movement is enough.

By the way, for everyone, if you want to see examples of even more elaborate ball cutters, search for the Hardinge one or the one by Monarch!

Thanks,

Jacques

The mecanisme is 2 gears behind eachother with a idler gear in between Then a connection rod A bit like on a locomotief On the connection rod the cutting tool is mounted The radius is set by moving the connectionrod to or from the centre of the 2 gears One gear is actuated with a worm wormwheel The other gears follow as they are in mesh With a round insert you can cut a radius till the ball is cut off 300 dgr or more
Peter

This is a lot more involved than I expected. This is the style I use at my job. No live tooling. Just a pivot, a slide to adjust the radius and a piece of HHS.

20210203_141400.jpg

Attachments

• 42780a.jpg
    42780a.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 180
The mecanisme is 2 gears behind eachother with a idler gear in between Then a connection rod A bit like on a locomotief On the connection rod the cutting tool is mounted The radius is set by moving the connectionrod to or from the centre of the 2 gears One gear is actuated with a worm wormwheel The other gears follow as they are in mesh With a round insert you can cut a radius till the ball is cut off 300 dgr or more
Peter

Thanks Peter, this is helpful. This seems to be a unique method of generating a circle, at least for the purpose of turning balls on a lathe.

If I understand correctly, the effective pivot point of the circle movement of the tool is not actually over the tool, it is to the left of the tool entirely. Is that correct?

To generate a ball, the cutting tool has to pivot over a point that is directly under the center of the ball being cut. It seems that this attachment accomplishes that with no part of it ever being directly under the center of the ball.

I would really like to see one of those in action!

Thanks again.

Jacques

Thanks Peter, this is helpful. This seems to be a unique method of generating a circle, at least for the purpose of turning balls on a lathe.

If I understand correctly, the effective pivot point of the circle movement of the tool is not actually over the tool, it is to the left of the tool entirely. Is that correct?

To generate a ball, the cutting tool has to pivot over a point that is directly under the center of the ball being cut. It seems that this attachment accomplishes that with no part of it ever being directly under the center of the ball.

I would really like to see one of those in action!

Thanks again.

Jacques

Sorry But I gave wrong information

In fact it is 2 wormwheels on a single worm behind eachother
Rotating the worm makes the wormwheels rotate simultanisly in the same direction

Peter

Did anyone make a tool to cut with RCMT inserts? Is there anything that needs to be shared that might help me in that pursuit?

Back