What's new
What's new

Ball Turning Tool - Plans Needed

There's a member here who has a site called "metal lathe" I think. I bought a kit from him, you get quality castings and a very good write up complete with mech. drawings.I machined one last summer and really enjoyed doing it. I made one ball with it 1.25" then got tied up with other stuff but it worked really well.

There's a member here who has a site called "metal lathe" I think. I bought a kit from him, you get quality castings and a very good write up complete with mech. drawings.I machined one last summer and really enjoyed doing it. I made one ball with it 1.25" then got tied up with other stuff but it worked really well.

Well, any links, photos or info would be greatly appreciated ;)

Call me "lazy", any one sell this kit completed?

Can't answer that but there is a good bit of machining to do on it I believe the castings were designd fo the 9" lathes but there is plenty of stick to machine them to fit the 10". It kinda looks like it belongs on an old SB lathe too. Plus it was patterned and cast right here in PA.:cheers:

I was wondering the same thing.... Where you at?:cheers:

I'm about 5 mi.west of Lewistown. MLA is near State College. Here is the ball turner and the only ball I made with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 12,282
A completed one recently sold on eBay for $395, and it doesn't look like it included the boring portion. RADIUS TURNING ATTACHMENT FOR 9" SOUTH BEND LATHE WITH STORAGE BASE | eBay

I made one for myself, they are great. I haven't completed the boring portion either.

The kit is designed for an SB9" It might work on a 10K, but not on a 10L. The spigot is not big enough to be machined for the 10L compound rest. However, Andrew was kind enough to send me some drawings showing how to modify it for a 10L. I haven't done it yet because I haven't completed my Heavy 10 restoration, and I haven't decided if I will keep or sell my 9A once it's done.

There is quite a bit of work involved in doing the project, but not difficult stuff.

Brad, I'm just across the river, your welcome to look at the plans.

Call me "lazy", any one sell this kit completed?

It's funny that question came up, but about a month ago a MLA ball turner fully machined and ready to go came up on ebay and sold in the $350 range. At that point, I'd buy the castings myself .....but it did look nice!

Dave

I am not a buyer at the $350 dollar price, 200 dollars or maybe 250 dollars price is what i would be willing to pay.

I am think of selling mine for 300 bucks, well not mine another one just like it. It will do about a 3" ball. I am sure 350 would cover the MLA one also with the time involved plus the kit ...Bob

Back