What's new
What's new

Beginner here. Should I grab this heavy 10?

Tinnut

Plastic
First post and looking for my first lathe!
Found a word of mouth deal on a "late 40s" heavy 10. Price is $800 firm.

What i know:
- needs a good cleaning
- it runs. Sounded smooth.
- ways looked to be in good condition (to my untrained eye) no heavy knicks. Couldn't feel a ridge or anything.
- carriage moved like butter
- power/crossfeed works but makes a little whine noise
- comes "with everything" but won't know until i get it home. Lets assume BASIC tooling. Its buried in a garage can't get a good look at everything.
- 48" bed

I would prefer something like this over some Chinese machine. I could spend the money on something nicer down the road. But thats hard to do without getting my feet wet first. Which is why I'm considering this south bend.

As a beginner its not very fun to fix something more than you use it. But maybe it could be a good solid entry into the hobby?

Here's the pics in the link below

Practical machinist - toys & games - by owner - sale

I guess my main worry is a money pit and am wondering if i should bump up to the 2500-3k price range.

Last edited:
I don't know how you tested them, but there are significant ridges in the ways. However, you could part it out for more than you paid if it comes to that.

Take the cover off the bull gear and check for hillbilly teeth.

Taper attachment-mic carriage stop big pluses. Down side no QC box ,be sure there are the gears for it there. As said look for missing teeth on the back gears. L model = Heavy 10 ++++ Be a great beginner machine even with some bed wear which in reality has minimal effect on most work.

I don't know how you tested them, but there are significant ridges in the ways. However, you could part it out for more than you paid if it comes to that.

Take the cover off the bull gear and check for hillbilly teeth.

Well what i think looks like a ridge in the pics is grease/oil. Black line? It was wiping off. But hey what do i know you might see something i dont. this is as close as ive ever been to one. Thats why im posting here. And hillbilly teeth thats a good one lol

Taper attachment-mic carriage stop big pluses. Down side no QC box ,be sure there are the gears for it there. As said look for missing teeth on the back gears. L model = Heavy 10 ++++ Be a great beginner machine even with some bed wear which in reality has minimal effect on most work.

Pretty sure there is a pic of a Qc gear box with it.

...Down side no QC box ,be sure there are the gears for it there....

It has QC, but the single tumbler type, so not as desirable as the newer double tumbler, but still way better than a change-gear lathe. Our Heavy 10 is a single tumbler and It honestly does everything I could hope for.

Looks like a well used lathe, but not a bad package considering the price. If it's complete and there's no cracked castings or broken teeth, a little bit of cleaning and oil should keep it running for many more years.

Concerning the bed wear, I'd keep the possibility of getting it reground and fitted in mind. You might spend twice as much as the lathe is currently worth on it (not counting your time), but you'd make that money back if you ever sell it, and that's after you've been able to use a top notch SB for awhile. Better lathes may be out there, but having one that you are familiar with can be a bigger value IMO. ANY used machine is going to be a gamble until you've had a chance to dig deep into it piece by piece. Even a "rebuilt" lathe can be a gamble as you are trusting that they did it right.

It's an underneath drive (cast iron base) 10L with a single tumber gearbox. Not the fanciest
but they work.

Well, this is the kind of banter i was looking for. Maybe I'll keep this one in mind as an option.. I feel like if i find the right one all clean with lots of tooling & someone willing show me around the machine (which someone who truly cares about their machine would) then I'll know its the one. Been slim pickins and im getting anxious. Ha.

Thanks

if its listed anywhere it wont be an option for long.
Out here that would be sold first day on CL at that price.

Buy it, if you dont like it you can easily get you money back if not some extra$$

What else comes with it? different chucks, misc drill bits, tailstock hardware, steady rest, follow rest, collets, toolholders and HSS bits, etc, etc....

I would offer to help him clean around the area where it is to help get it out sooner. That also lets you see that anything that should be with it does not get misplaced in the clean up process. sounds like he is done with lathe and has no use for it anymore, also see what materials he has, if he has no lathe he probably has no use for any materials for it....

Back