What's new
What's new

Belt????????????

fecobra

Plastic
The various sizes of automobile serpentine belts are endless, anyone tried or thought about this and, would it work?...

They are reported to work quite well. Probably best on machines where they can be installed without cutting. But even so I saw a recent posting where someone cut the belt to install, then skived and sewed the ends just like a leather belt.

Gregm

Sheesh, 12 question marks ! Never seen anyone get so emotional over a drive belt ;)

So are they installed with the grooves outward so they ride on the flat surface?

Hi All,

I just ordered a new belt from Baltimore Belting Co. They suggested that leather is very expensive, offered a leather belt at $19 (much less than I expected) and then recommended a "transmission belt" made of rubber-impregnated cotton for $7.95. Promised to make it up tomorrow (Wed) and I'd have it by Thursday. We'll see how it works out. Nice folks to deal with so far.

Jeff Greenblatt

Hi There,

I've heard of them. Mostly good but I haven't dealt with them yet. Are the prices you mentioned per foot or the total price?

-Blue Chips-
Webb

Web,

I took that to be the total price (with aligator clip). Now you've got me wondering. We'll see on Thursday.

Baltimore Belting Co.
766 E 25th Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

410 338 1230

They're located not far from Fort McHenry. Tell them Jeff sent you.

I've been using one for a couple of years now and it is great. I had to use a heavy tension setting at first to get it to stay on the pulleys but after it was "run in" a bit, that is no longer necessary. I have tried running it both ways, grooves in and out and both seem to work equally well.

And the disassembly that installing it required was a blessing in disguise because I discovered badly worn oiler felts and springs that were starting to scrape on the spindle. I replaced them also and all is well now. They are a bit pricey from LeBlond but I posted a picture of what I was sold on the Yahoo SB site and they can be easily made from springs or spring wire and felt for a fraction of the cost.

One thing about the serpentine belts, they do stretch a bit as I have had to adjust the tension several times over the past two years. But far less than leather would.

Paul A.

Follow-up on transmission belting:

I received the belt, as promised, earlier today. It is now running on the lathe and appears to work very well - tracks well, friction seems to be comparable to leather, quiet. It came clearly labeled regarding pulley side and direction. A bargain at $8 plus shipping. Hats off to Baltimore Belting Co.

Jeff Greenblatt

Bob,

The belt came with clip installed. It's a better clip than on my old leather belt - more loops, somewhat smaller, so they don't click as much.

Jeff

The belt on my 10L has to be cut to fit. So in a hurry to get my reground bed and scraped in saddle working I took a serpentine belt I had kept after replacing one on my car. I cut it to length, drilled 1/16" holes in the groves and laced it together groves down with small stainles steel wire. Works great. I now have a second belt from changing another belt on my car and am going to fit it to my 9A.
Walot

Back