What's new
What's new

belt for back motor 10K

Anatol

Aluminum
My machine had a 1" flat belt - glued
What is the opinion on replacements -
is the $25 fleabay offering with the stainless steel joiner good?
or something different?
thx!
A

Probably the reason nobody replied is that there are quite a few options available to replace that flat drive belt. You can go with commercially available products which include leather or composition materials either glued or "Clipper" laced. All you have to do is supply the desired length of belt.

Or you can produce a "do it yourself" version, again using leather belting, composition belting, or the popular use of an automotive serpentine accessory drive belt. And here again there are options of gluing up a belt, lacing a belt using the method shown in South Bend's How to Run a Lathe book, or you can get yourself a "Clipper" lacing vise and install the laces yourself.

You'll find a wide range of options as to the best method. I can tell you that in my own experience I have tried almost every variation of the options. So far the best has been a commercial composition belt supplied with the proper glue which I glued myself. I did that more than 40 years ago and the belt is still running. But I have also had really good success recently on my 10L machine using an automotive serpentine belt and fastening it with a small "Clipper" lacing vise I bought on eBay along with a couple of strips of stainless steel laces, also from eBay.

The choice is yours!

The bomb for my SB9 is a custom continuous belt that I found on flea bay. I had to disassemble the spindle to install, but it has been running smoothly for some time, with no stretching. You have to specify the length.

For replacing a drive belt, why don’t you measure the required length and order a serpentine belt. I went to Amazon and got a Dayco belt my length (54”) and .82 inches wide. My lathe is a 10k.
Took a deep breath and pulled the spindle, back gear and the horizontal drive shaft. Using YouTube and the Ilion rebuild manual, total time for project start to finish was 3 hours.
Probably a lot longer time than most, but it’s done. Not as bad of a job as I anticipated. I also learned that South Bend used pretty tight tolerances.
Hopefully, I will never need to change a belt again.

Back