What's new
What's new

Bought a Southbend lathe. Tell me about it!

firingpin

Plastic
Hello to all the machinists out there that are looking at my thread!

I just snagged this lathe from the garage of a guy whom I found out today is friends with my brother. It is an 8' long lathe with a 14" swing and is overall a beautiful piece of Americana. It was used here in California by a Cal-Tech professor to make some sort of rods for fancy equipment until his wife nagged him into buying a new lathe.

Some of the lathe is disassembled and will have to take some more apart to get it moved. The original Westinghouse motor is there and it was painted over on a few pieces at an undetermined time (original paint was black). Smooth as silk too.

From what I can see it is a 1926 Southbend lathe but I don't know the model just yet. Does anyone know what it would be? Would love to do some reading! Also would love to know what are some must-have tools are for this machine.

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Photos!
15d0c2fae4f6e3d152eaa48f4be287b1.jpg
00d3819a916bf5604033df514834fee0.jpg
f5034eea1944c4362349e63d4aef61a6.jpg

Good photos and a beautiful lathe, it will be top heavy so be very careful it does not tip over....

There should be a serial number stamped on the right front of the bed.

Also, there will be a model number probably on one of the plates on the left side cover.

Let us know what those are and we can tell you more.

Steve

Here is an update! Just got this baby broken down and loaded up and it is on the way to its new home at my friend's place.

The bed is marked as having been made on Jan 30, 1926 and the serial is 33383N.

Now, we are missing the tool holder, centering jig and a few other bits. Are there specific parts we should check for, look for, replace or purchase?

It looks so nice and very clean.. Don't know if I would tear it downs to bones. think clean off the little surface rust and oil her down.
Hope you got her home..I would have bolted 4x4s to the legs cross-ways and then a couple c clamped 2 x 4s at bed height to the inside trailer walls cross ways..and a skid stop going to the front trailer floor.

You should change you location..
*Again, Wow that is a nice lathe.

"It was used here in California by a Cal-Tech professor to make some sort of rods for fancy equipment until his wife nagged him into buying a new lathe." !!!:scratchchin::eek: The heck with the lathe- WHERE do I find a wife like that!

Scott

Last edited:
Alrighty, here is a list of components that I need for my baby to get up and running...

steady rest
micrometer stop for carriage
tool holder
lathe dogs of various size
oils
felts/way wipers

Anyone have part recommendations or good suppliers?

The felts and wipers are available on ebay it seems. The carriage stop I can make myself I think. The tool holder though... I think I can fit a Grizzly quick change to it, ja?

Back