What's new
What's new

Brake for a 10K Spindle

Captain Dan

Plastic
I would like to make a cross drilling jig like
message number #64/65 in the "What have you made FOR your SB Lathe."

My question is: How do I lock the spindle when drilling. Yes I know that I can engage the back gear, but if I need several holes around in an exact spot, the back gear might not place the hole in the correct spot.

I have a newer 10K with a horizontal drive and full cover over the belt, counter shaft and headstock gears.

Thanks

I have been pondering this problem for a while but I haven’t had a project that has required it yet. I am thinking I will mount a disk brake off a bicycle to the outboard end of the spindle. I will probably turn a hub that clamps to the outside of the end of the spindle. Mounting the caliper will be a bit trickier I think. I will probably try to attach it to the banjo in some fashion.

Hope this helps.

You can start about post #62 for anyone intersted:
What have you made FOR your South Bend?

To answer the op's question. You can stiffen up the spindle, though it won't be locked. Keep bull gear engaged. Let cone pulley tight for flat belt. Engage reversing gears handle and qcgb. You can still rotate spindle, but it will take a bit more effort. A whole lot better than a free wheeling spindle anyway.

Have not tried it for drilling like you're posting, but I have done for other un-powered tasks. My guess is the spindle won't move, but you'd have to give it a try to know.

Might depend on the size drill, how big a step from pilot hole, and how hard you're feeding. But I think it can be successful.

If I absolutely needed more stopping power, I'd take a short piece of angle iron. Drill a hole in each side of angle iron. Pull one headtock cap bolt, and run the bolt back in with the angle iron attached. Then in the other hole, a piece of all-thread or something. Run that in till it hits the backplate or back side of chuck.

To answer the op's question. You can stiffen up the spindle, though it won't be locked. Keep bull gear engaged. Let cone pulley tight for flat belt. Engage reversing gears handle and qcgb. You can still rotate spindle, but it will take a bit more effort. A whole lot better than a free wheeling spindle anyway.

Have not tried it for drilling like you're posting, but I have done for other un-powered tasks. My guess is the spindle won't move, but you'd have to give it a try to know.
----------------
Yes, think that this might be enough. Just engage everything.
I'll give it a try.
Thanks.
Dan

Back