Brand new, never used 1984 South Bend Lathe 10K - what is the value of such an item? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WOW...your killing me with all those photos of the lathe and accessories...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is the story with the gentleman who you purchased this from? It looks like he bought everything out of the catalog for the lathe and proceeded to never use it? I’m sure that was quite an investment to purchase new then never use? I am just in awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to know why the ways show no scraping/flaking marks. Is that because they're flame hardened?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Wo View Post
    I want to know why the ways show no scraping/flaking marks. Is that because they're flame hardened?
    Yes, the flame-hardened ways were all ground, no scraping. Cheers

5. Likes Yan Wo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by packrat2 View Post
    WOW...your killing me with all those photos of the lathe and accessories...
    Ditto!!! I have not posted in awhile (I know, who cares), I mostly stay under the radar and just take everything in and quietly LEARN, but GEEZUS!! That 10K package really has me drooling!! None of us are likely to see (again) anything approaching the width and breadth of this 10K and all those BRAND NEW accessories. Like many of "us" I sure wish that was mine. Oh, I'm quite happy with my SB9" "B"model, but If that 10K/package landed in my lap like the OP, rest assured I would put her right to work making chips

7. Likes mark.sellers liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PmGRacer View Post
    What is the story with the gentleman who you purchased this from? It looks like he bought everything out of the catalog for the lathe and proceeded to never use it? I’m sure that was quite an investment to purchase new then never use? I am just in awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The man I purchased the lathe from was in his 80's and was a friend of my parents. He had a small shop in his house, and it seemed he did more wood working - built cabinets in his house. He also poured lots of concrete for landscaping planters in his yard. I would say he is one of those guys that just wanted to own tools. I was going to pass it on to a friend, but he found out that since this lathe has never been used that there is much higher value. It should go to a person who really likes SB lathes specifically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes that is a nice new machine. Not made in the USA. Big downer. This is not a museum quality piece. It has an American Name but so what. There maybe a person who would buy it for a basement shop. Once he uses it value will decrease from what he paid for it. Similar to when you buy a handgun with collector value that was never fired. Take it out to the range and there goes the value-down. I am sure that there are people on this forum who have rebuilt older machines and ended up with more invested in a machine than a new Asian machine would cost. I am sure if a past South Bend Lathe factory worker saw that machine and was asked its value I bet the responses would be interesting.

10. Likes Metal-Masher, mark.sellers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1010 View Post
    Yes that is a nice new machine. Not made in the USA. Big downer. This is not a museum quality piece. It has an American Name but so what. There maybe a person who would buy it for a basement shop. Once he uses it value will decrease from what he paid for it. Similar to when you buy a handgun with collector value that was never fired. Take it out to the range and there goes the value-down. I am sure that there are people on this forum who have rebuilt older machines and ended up with more invested in a machine than a new Asian machine would cost. I am sure if a past South Bend Lathe factory worker saw that machine and was asked its value I bet the responses would be interesting.
    SB had been using castings from Korea for all their machines for many years long before 1984 in order to reduce costs and stay afloat. My 10k, see my invoice, bought at the same time as this machine does not have the Made in Korea plate, but I'm pretty sure most of the parts were made in Korea. I think that only the assembly was being done in the USA in '84. Even then, when I ordered my 10k, I ordered it with a TA as well, but the TA was delivered separately. and I had to install it. Which by the way appears to be the only thing missing with this lathe. I don't think the Korean thing is a detraction at all in either price or quality.

12. Likes timj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for sharing those photos. I really enjoyed seeing what a brand new lathe looked like. That's a spectacular find.

With all those accessories, I was surprised that there wasn't a steady rest or follow rest in the lot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any opinions on shipping this lathe? With the stand it is extremely heavy - do I take the lathe off of the stand and crate the 2 separately - or does this somehow hurt the original value?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't touch it....its all on the buyer.

for what they are going to pay they can afford a rigger and shipping too.

It's less than 1000lbs even with all the tooling.

16. Likes Blob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar R View Post
    Any opinions on shipping this lathe? With the stand it is extremely heavy - do I take the lathe off of the stand and crate the 2 separately - or does this somehow hurt the original value?
    The stand (with lathe) needs to be *securely bolted and blocked* to a heavy-duty pallet, and an OSB/plywood crate built around it, if *I* were shipping by any common carrier. Those aren't as top-heavy as most lathes, since the stand is pretty large and low, and the lathe is light. As mentioned, I would make it the sellers responsibility to arrange for shipping and prep, to avoid issues if something gets damaged. It really isn't that heavy (for machinery), 400 or so lb for the lathe+stand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VSAncona View Post
    Thanks for sharing those photos. I really enjoyed seeing what a brand new lathe looked like. That's a spectacular find.

With all those accessories, I was surprised that there wasn't a steady rest or follow rest in the lot.
    ..and a lever-operated collet-closer. Sounds like that may have been an "I NEED this lathe for my XYZ hobby/project" 30+ years ago, and was never used, and the Boss has been on the Hubbie for 25+ years about that expensive unused junk taking up room in the garage he bought and never used...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would not disassemble the lathe from the stand. It is the buyer's responsibility first. Secondly, it is possible the lathe bed has shims under the bed feet between the bed the bed and the stand. These shims if present, may be necessary to maintain bed straightness.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for all of your feedback. I will be posting it in the 'FOR SALE' section of Practical Machinist, and I will be listing the lathe and all the items in the photo on Craigs List in Seattle. Sorry, it won't be cheap. $11,000 OBO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So even 35 years ago they were making these lathes in Korea?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FYI Wacheon and Hwacheon are fantastic lathes and made in Korea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I reckon its a bit of you Wes! Just pay the man dammit

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    FYI Wacheon and Hwacheon are fantastic lathes and made in Korea.
    And a Kia Spectra is a really shitty car made in Korea. So what's your point?

You could by a brand new South Bend 10" lathe from Grizzly that's just as Korean/Chinese/Taiwanese but costs less and has a warranty and parts availability and all that jazz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its really a matter of what do you want from a machine? In my book, the 10K is somewhere between a hobby and a vary light tool room lathe. A 10L is a light tool room machine. A person that wants a lathe to make money with will not buy this machine, too costly for what it brings to the table. I see this in someone's basement or shop; that rarely gets used, and when it does, its for light, piddly stuff. Like having a famous painting, its for show. Something that get admired and polished. All the accessories in their custom display case. The draw is not that its a brand new lathe from 40 years ago, rather that is one of the last or the last new machine for a company the has gone belly up. The new SB is not the same as the old SB, just a label, a name. Under the hood, the new SB is totally different.

Tom

26. Likes jmofr, tommy1010 liked this post