Brand new, never used 1984 South Bend Lathe 10K - what is the value of such an item? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar R View Post
    Thank you for all of your feedback. I will be posting it in the 'FOR SALE' section of Practical Machinist, and I will be listing the lathe and all the items in the photo on Craigs List in Seattle. Sorry, it won't be cheap. $11,000 OBO.
    Good luck to you in selling it for that price, but you don't have a snowball's chance in hell at that price. You might sell it for #7500, but $7,000 is more realistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

agree, it's not "collectable"....there are about a zillion 10K's out there and any of them can be rebuilt to better than new...full Monty professional rebuild run around 4Kish....so with accessories plus original purchase price of machine before rebuild, puts the 7-8k about right.

Doesn't hurt to try though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for all of your feedback. I will be posting it in the 'FOR SALE' section of Practical Machinist, and I will be listing the lathe and all the items in the photo on Craigs List in Seattle. Sorry, it won't be cheap. $11,000 OBO.

Can't blame the guy for trying. Everyone was drooling all over it, kind of like a "heavy petting" session with your GF, then she says NOPE!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if I created the link properly but post #3 has a guy that bought a 1978 10k in 2015 for $10,000 with no accessories.

NOS 1984 South Bend 10k (light) - Value?

5. Likes mark.sellers liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep us updated what it sells for. I will fault no person for starting high, and I think you can get $10,000 or close. There's a lot of money on the west coast and 10 grand isn't a lot for some people. You'll probably need more exposure than CL and here though.

namaste1978 Guest

How full of shit are you? I've seen this under different names here on PM. Posted on CL Seattle. Same BS story. How stupid do you think we are? For starters, original machines do not have screwed on data plates lol. Ugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^ that is untrue...SBs of that vintage DID have screwed on plates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    ^^^ that is untrue...SBs of that vintage DID have screwed on plates.
    Yeap, I have a virtually identical model and year. The seller has been straightforward it seems, regardless if someone doesn't agree with price. People should think before spewing hostilities.

10. Likes steve-l, 3512B, SteveBerry liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by namaste1978 View Post
    How full of shit are you? I've seen this under different names here on PM. Posted on CL Seattle. Same BS story. How stupid do you think we are? For starters, original machines do not have screwed on data plates lol. Ugh.
    These false accusations remind me of a crazy ex-girlfriend I had, that needed to be kicked to the curb. Your anger and misguided 'expertise' comes from being a sad owner of a 3.5" Sherline lathe. lol

12. Likes jhruska, SteveBerry liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by namaste1978 View Post
    Sorry lol. I almost forgot about how you posted this under another PM name a few years back,asking the same questions but with a different story. Yeah my bad ......
    And "He already has a heavy 10 of older vintage in like new condition as well, so he has no need for this lathe" Then in your CL positing you specifically say "He bought this lathe because it made him happy just to look at it. He never ever turned on the motor, because he didn't even take the time to figure out how it worked". What in the world????????????????? Anyone????????? Beulller????????????? Both linked here unless you delete them. Don't bother. I have screenshots. Seriously are you delusional? You want to attack me? I'm just trying to keep unsuspecting people from being taken by you.

NOS 1984 South Bend 10k (light) - Value?

South Bend Lathe 1984 Vintage Never even turned on. Perfect condition - tools - by owner - sale
    Dear owner of a Sherline Lathe,
    Please take your medication as your doctor has instructed. A simple self-test you can take is "what is 2 + 2?" If you come up with 'banana' or 'cupcake', you know you need to take at least a double dose of your pills. FYI - the answer is 4. With that said, you should slow down, take a deep breath, count to 10 - no - for your case I would say count to 1,000 and read the posts CAREFULLY, and you will have all your answers. I would have reported your post if there was a place to do it on this forum, and the moderators PM mailbox is full. If anyone knows how to report this yahoo and his lies let me know.

Cheers !

14. Likes SteveBerry, Blob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is strange that your bed numbers are 40611. My 10K was made in Dec of 1988, numbers 40371. Yours was before mine but the numbers are higher?
    Nelson

nel2lar (AT) yahoo (DOT) com

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear owner of a Sherline Lathe,
    Please take your medication as your doctor has instructed. A simple self-test you can take is "what is 2 + 2?" If you come up with 'banana' or 'cupcake', you know you need to take at least a double dose of your pills. FYI - the answer is 4. With that said, you should slow down, take a deep breath, count to 10 - no - for your case I would say count to 1,000 and read the posts CAREFULLY, and you will have all your answers. I would have reported your post if there was a place to do it on this forum, and the moderators PM mailbox is full. If anyone knows how to report this yahoo and his lies let me know.

Cheers !
    Right after "Like this post" is a warning triangle. It's the "report post" button.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nel2lar View Post
    It is strange that your bed numbers are 40611. My 10K was made in Dec of 1988, numbers 40371. Yours was before mine but the numbers are higher?
    Nelson

nel2lar (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
    have no idea about the numbering but you can see the posted blue receipt with date and serial number 40611

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have dropped the price to $9,000

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The price now is $7,300 for the Never used South Bend lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe this is the same lathe that was posted back in January of 2017: NOS 1984 South Bend 10k (light) - Value?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it is the same lathe - a friend was asking about it for me. He was thinking about buying it until he discovered it was too nice (which equaled too expensive)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to buy it. I'm out of Eugene OR and have tried to reach you through Craigslist with no luck. Let me know if it is still for sale. Thanks. A beautiful piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His email from other for-sale post : [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

calling girl friend crazy have you ever thought about looking in the mirror