What's new
What's new

Heavy 10" South Bend Lathe For sale.

Ryanlavorgna

Plastic
Hello, recently my grandfathers old South Bend lathe was passed on to me. I'm looking for someone who may be interested in purchasing it. the machine works I think it just needs some tender love and care. Ill have all the information that I know about it below.

Serial#: 18522 RKX
Catalog#: CL8187RB
Bed length: 4 1/2
Name: 10" Heavy or Heavy 10", 2 1/4 by 8 TPI spindle nose

again if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

[email protected]

IMG_2814.jpgIMG_2813.jpgIMG_2809.jpg

Does anybody know the purpose of the steel fixture in front of the gearbox? ... or maybe it's just some unrelated thing that's sitting there.

(Not addressing the OP because I don't think he'll be back)

that is the extremely rare SouthBend gearbox isolator, only found on 1963 10L's made in the second week of February. Just that alone would push the price up a couple of thousand simolians... (you guys might have been a little hard on the new guy) Just in case he does come back, the price commanded is mostly based on the condition of the machine, the amount of tooling, and the availability of machine tools in your area, it is difficult to make a reasonable assessment on a couple of pictures. Jim

Hi jim how are you, and yes I am very new here, I’ve never posted on a forum before. But I would live to speak with you more if you have any information on the machine. As you can tell I’m not too educated in the specifics of lathes. It was just passed on to me. I’m sure it could be much use to someone who actually knows how to use it. But I’d love it if you could spare some time and contact me. My email is [email protected].

Thanks again

honestly I'm not super educated in lathes. Again it was passed on to me, I don't know if its a piece of junk or a hidden treasure. Its one of the reasons I posted it here. to see if anyone could help me out and give me any information on it.

Hello, recently my grandfathers old South Bend lathe was passed on to me. I'm looking for someone who may be interested in purchasing it. the machine works I think it just needs some tender love and care. Ill have all the information that I know about it below.

Serial#: 18522 RKX
Catalog#: CL8187RB
Bed length: 4 1/2
Name: 10" Heavy or Heavy 10", 2 1/4 by 8 TPI spindle nose

again if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

[email protected]

View attachment 300722View attachment 300723View attachment 300724
does it have a single phase motor?

If I were trying to sell a lathe here, I would have included many more close-up photos of just about everything,
including the side gear train, apron, operating controls, headstock, etc., as well as any tooling or extras that come
with it. Perhaps even a video of it running, if possible.

Just saying.

PMc

honestly I'm not super educated in lathes. Again it was passed on to me, I don't know if its a piece of junk or a hidden treasure. Its one of the reasons I posted it here. to see if anyone could help me out and give me any information on it.

put it on c list for 1000 to 1500 i just sold two 10 heavy's on there over the last 90 days and got 1600 for one and 3000 for the other if you have the time go on you tube and get some info on what it is and how it works and don't let the 220 3 phase thing get you down there again there are videos that will show you how to start that motor on 1 phase 220 with a start cap so you can run it and that way when you sell it you won't have some shyster trying to give you a line about well its not running and for 250 i am taking a hell of a chance my god it has a tapper attachment on it large dials dam you could part it out and make 2000 so take the time to learn something about what you have you just may want to keep it and make a few things with it i got 3000 for the one on the left and 1600 for the one on the right

001.jpg003.jpg

X2 its good for $2k + if its been kept in good condition and has accessories. I live a few hours north of you in NY, and those disappear pretty much instantly on craig list and ebay. The metal thing in front of the gear box must be something he added on for some special job. If I was you I would try to find all the accessories he had for it and show them in another pic -- sometimes they can cost as much as the machine itself.

If you want to clean it up for pics, you can use something like Simple Green in a bucket of warm water. Make sure to oil all the exposed metal surfaces thoroughly for storage.

Hope this helps --

Hey Rozen So if this lathe is worth 265 what does that make your whole shop of old machines worth. I have seen some of your pictures look pretty junkie,
Bob

Been nearly six months and the OP never came back...
Pretty sure it's been sold by now :)

Back