What's new
What's new

Brass bearings for headstock on heavy 10

Reade

Plastic
my heavy 10 has wear in the main shaft on its front bearing surface. if I decide to have the shaft welded and ground back to std where can find the new bearings?

I don't think anyone produces new bearings, but sometimes you can find a used set that are in good shape. You could also make them, its not a particularly complex shape. That said, I'd like to see some pictures of your bearings. New owners often overreact to minor bearing issues that will not impact performance.

allan

PS- they are bronze.

I used the term brass just off the cuff. Didn't know it was nesseary to used the exact alloy. Would that be 660 bearing bronze?

I guess I could make them, I have another lathe, and a mill. It would be nice to see a print to understand the clearances but I guess I could figure that out too by looking at the old ones perhaps mounted in the main caps with the spindle out.

Not sure what part of OK you are in, but hey! I am restoring a heavy 10 and it is pretty worn. The head stock bearing have some wear, and the spindle had quite a bit. Took the spindle to a cam shaft place and they welded it up and reground it for $125. I am leaving the bearings alone.

The old SB catalogs specify that the bearings are scraped to a 'sliding fit'. BTW, I scraped in the bearings on my 1919 Dalton-six recently. When I shimmed and tightened the head stock caps holding the bearings the shaft was to tight. So found out tightening the bearings down was causing some compression at the sides of the (split) bearings. The sides of the bearings are where I did most of the scraping to achieve a free turning shaft withthe .001" of play necessary for proper lubrication.

Boston Gear manufacturers "plain bearings" up to 3". They would likely need a little machining to get the fit correct and make up for the oil passages/ wick, etc.

Back