What's new
What's new

Broaching a felt keyway into a 9A leadscrew bracket?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
It bugs the hell out me that there's no provision for a felt in my 9A leadscrew support bracket- just an oil hole. I'd read that some were made with a keyway for a felt, but I've not seen one yet.
Can't understand why SB would have designed them without it...

I'm constantly oiling that bracket out of fear of wear on the end of the leadscrew and it getting "sloppy". Am I worrying too much about this, or does it just make sense to broach a slot there (which I've never done, but gotta learn sometime!)?

Well, If you're using the machine in production and it runs three shifts a day, seven days a week, AND, you could not afford the down time to make a bushing when it finally does wear out in several years, then yes, you should address the issue and insure proper oiling. If you are the only person using it, for hobby/repair or otherwise occasional use, then add a couple of drops of heavy oil every other time you use it and let your great grandchildren worry about it when it has worn enough to create a problem eighty or so years from now.

that braket is babbited and at the speeds a leadscew sees will last just short of forever.

If anything tap a Gits in the hole to keep crud out.

good that you are mindful of keeping things lubed though!

one area that you can make a big difference is the cross slide screw...very easy to do too, just pop the nut out,remove the little conical holding screw and drill through the bottom of the hole....then to oil all you have to do is occasionally take the conical screw out and squirt some oil in the hole.

Guaranteed to keep your screw wet.:)

My 10L has no felt in there, and the original babbitt is still fine. There is enough use on the machine to have noticeable wear on the bed, and the power feed was used so much that the worm and worm gear were destroyed.

Back